Car tracking

S

SammyInnit

Hi all,

I'm considering motor tracking for my partners car. It's now considered a classic motor and sought after for parts. My partners mother had the same car recently stolen, we found it a week or so later completely stripped and all that was left was the engine, gearbox, chassis and tub. We're estimating £15k to rebuild if we can get the parts.

We've just had a lot of welding and sealing work done to the Mrs car, new paint, refurbished gear box, clutch and engine but I'm worried if we don't protect it the same fate could be in store.

Need a good quality GPS motor tracking system if anyone could recommend, cheers.

Sponsored Links
I’ve heard good reports about this company, it can get expensive though as you normally have to pay a yearly subscription.
https://www.autowatch.co.uk/
A decent high end car alarm may achieve the same objective and stop it being taken, as willl a visual deterrent such as a steering wheel lock, although I don’t know how secure they actually are these days.
Toad car alarms are pretty good quality and fitters come to you.
Does not stop home break in and the keys being stolen though, which is now very common.

What car and year is it? Does it have an ODB port?

Andy

1989 Citroen 2cv, so no ODB.

I’ve heard good reports about this company, it can get expensive though as you normally have to pay a yearly subscription.
https://www.autowatch.co.uk/
A decent high end car alarm may achieve the same objective and stop it being taken, as willl a visual deterrent such as a steering wheel lock, although I don’t know how secure they actually are these days.
Toad car alarms are pretty good quality and fitters come to you.
Does not stop home break in and the keys being stolen though, which is now very common.

I'll give them a look, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have this one TK103A which is a generic unit from Amazon or Ebay and other places, and also a similar one (can't recall the model number) which comes with a camera that you can have snap a picture of the thief in your vehicle.

Pop your own PAYG SIM in to it and then it can notify you of events automatically, or you can send it a text and get reports back. Or there is an app to use. These also come with a remote and can be part of an existing alarm, or the main car alarm too if you add the siren and switches etc.

They may have been superceded by now as I've had them about 5 years, but there should be equvalent units available.

I had an interesting conversation with a mobile car security guy a couple of years ago, called out to attend a neighbour's car. According to him modern cars, fitted with the latest high-tech security systems, are in fact easier to steal than older vehicles (that don't have the same profit potential anyway) if the thief has the right equipment. He showed me what looked like a small laptop (that he was authorised to possess as essential to his trade) that is expensive but nevertheless 'available' if you know where to look, that would enable him to enter & drive away virtually any modern car without the need for keys. In his opinion the vehicle security industry is effectively a con with the only benefit going to the manufactures of said equipment.

1989 Citroen 2cv, so no ODB

'Oh great & no a lot of other things as well !
Sorry, I do like them really ... kind of cute & not a lot to go wrong. Simplistic bodywork that converts to many things, including a ball of foil if you hit anything solid :rolleyes:

nb: it's OBD but I'm being pedantic.

Back