career change advice....electrical/instrumentation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

at the moment i am an electrical and instrumentation technician, mainly working on process control and manufacturing machines. I am involved with alot of 3 phase equipment, PLC systems, servo drive systems as well as temperature control and other process control instrumentation (pressure, level, weight etc etc...) we have alot of DC drives and AC inverter drives.

basically im bored of being stuck in a factory (all be it very friendly and sometimes interesting) week in week out. i fancy getting out and about. I am more interested in the servo/PLC and inverter side of things and i quite fancied doing something to do with theme park /fairground rides. i know alot of them these days are using ac drives and the like. these rides must break down just like any other machines...and somebody has to fix them

does anybody have any idea of how one would go about getting into such a career? and if so what qualifications i would need to have?

i currently have NVQ 2/3 in electrical maintenance
BTEC national in electrical engineering
HNC/D in electrical engineering
City and guilds instrumentation technician (cant remember the course number)

qualified to work in flame free areas and testing live upto 1000V (the latter is an "in house" qualification mainly based on being deemed competant to work live so im not sure if it counts in the outside world.)

plus, i have 7 years practical experience so not just a theory guy

Cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
A lot of work on theme parks is winter based, when the places are closed and they take every ride apart for inspection and cleaning. Obviously safety is paramount on these applications.

When you work for yourself you need to use a lot of initiative.
As you can guess, this question has been asked many times in the past.

Below this thread you'll see a panel titled "Similar Topics".
At the top of the page there's a fubction called "search".

Give em a try - its fun!

Sponsored Links
yes thanks guys, however i have already searched the forum....the results i got did not help me in my quest and most of the similar topics relate to people wanting to become electricians.

i am asking how i go about getting into fairground /theme park ride electrical repair. if you can point me to a similar topic i would be greatful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back