Caring for Cork Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved into a 1958 home. Pulled up the Living yellow shag carpet and pad. The cork underneath is in very good shape except where the tack strip stained it dark around the edges.

Master bedroom has same thing except the carpet was glued down. Going to try sanding off the glue residue and sealing the floor with polyurethane. Any suggestions are welcome.

The whole house has this stuff and we hope to be able to clean it up and make it look charming.

Sponsored Links
My home is built on a conrete slab, so I was thinking that I would glue cork tiles directly onto the slab. Has anyone out there done this? (I'm worried about doing something that will be hard to reverse.)

If your concrete screed is absolutely dry and level you can seal it -providing a good base for laying cork - by rolling on a mixture of 4 parts water to 1 part PVA glue. I found this excellent because PVA is non toxic and the mixture dries in 20 minutes. It worked very well with self adhesive tiles as well.

Sponsored Links
we have just bought a house that was built in the 50's. we where
wondering what are the chances that our core tile can be made beautiful
and what do we need to do to make that way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back