'Carpenter' fitted these doors today - am I being picky?

I'm not sure what you mean Kevin re: it depends how much he quoted..... I asked him for a price to fit 6 doors and accepted the price he gave.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I was wondering how much he quoted you to hang 6 doors - the standard of work was very poor, but perhaps so was the standard of pay....?

Last edited:
300 quid and he said it would take him a day because all the doors were virtually the correct size and only needed a few mm of each side.... tbh the price wasn't really a factor - I'd pay whatever is reasonable for the job. 300 quid for a days labour seemed reasonable to me but he left at 2 pm having done 4 doors and said he'd return on Wednesday to do the other two. I hadn't seen the state of the doors until he'd already left but it struck me as odd that he would rather finish early and come back rather than stay a couple more hours and get it finished.

Ah, yes, you should expect a whole lot better job for that amount of money.

Sponsored Links
I'm obviously doing it all wrong - £300 to hang six doors? It's a tad more than I'd earn for doing that for our firm....... And if one of our guys did as bad a job as that out on site he'd be earoled straight away.

That's what I would charge, 50 quid a pop, if asked for a price, new doors in old linings

Doesn't look too good.
The door frames are probably spot on.

Another option rather than binning the doors and starting again is to have the lining reduced by screwing and gluing softwood strips to all the sides of the lining on the hanging side of the door lining only. Fill and paint, then ask a carpenter to come in and shoot one door in on the onus that if he's any good he can have the other 5 to do.
You may be charged more because the chippy will have more work than he/she would had the doors not been buggered up by someone else.

A slightly easier alternative, would be to cut the doors down either side, and then glue fillet either side ( optionally plus top and bottom) to make a feature of the doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back