Carpet Right Experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know we all say to avoid Carpet Right but I just can't believe what they are charging. I ordered carpet, underlay, grippers and door bars and got a good price for the lot. The quotation didn't include a break down of each item and as I was in a bit of a rush, I had only compared it to a similar carpet\underlay spec at SCS and the fitting charge at Carpet Right was only £135 which was a lot cheaper then SCS. So I decided to go for it, upon ordering I got a breakdown of the price and two items stood out straight away:

70 Grippers - just over £100
Deposit Charge - £30 odd

Why am I paying a deposit charge when I paid outright for the carpet? Well it appears the fitting charge is actually £165, but CarpetRight take 70p per square meter as a fitting charge directly and label it as a deposit charge. That's a nice little hidden cost.

But the carpet grippers, you can get 100 of them in screwfix for £35! When I mentioned it to the sales manager at carpet right he mumbled the price of the grippers covered the fitters fitting them - hang on, I'm paying £165 already for fitting? There's more?

Then looking into further, you can get trade price underlay for £2.99 per square meter, and carpet right are charging £7.99 which is less thicker.

Door bars £7.99 - again cheaper in screwfix or elsewhere.

I've learnt my lesson now, I got everything refunded minus the actual carpet (It had 25% off, which is probably is its real price) as CarpetRight refused to fit anything I supplied, nor would they reduce the fitting cost for just fitting carpet.

I'm amazed this company gets away with some of these costs. I do expect to pay more by going direct to CarpetRight but some of that is over the top!

Sponsored Links
They were going to fit vinyl at a customers house. They claimed the floor was damp (it wasn't). They wanted £190 for applying a liquid damp membrane that would take ten minutes. I advised them to pi$$ them off and they did. It's a company owned by some Tory MP.

they get away with this like other companys because a lot of the paying public dont have a clue when parting with there hard earned.

Whilst I am no fan of CR, every business has a right to make a profit, would you supply non OEM parts for your BMW and expect the main dealer to fit them for you for example? Comparing thickness of underlay for example does not nescersarily reflect the quality of the underlays, the same for door bars, they may look similar to the unexperienced, but there is a big difference in quality between various bars, gripper and underlay from many manufacturers, however broadly speaking, CR are by no means the best value for money flooring company,nor most certainly are SCS. Most reputable independents will supply a better quality of advice, product and quality for your money.

Sponsored Links
Whilst I am no fan of CR, every business has a right to make a profit, would you supply non OEM parts for your BMW and expect the main dealer to fit them for you for example? Comparing thickness of underlay for example does not nescersarily reflect the quality of the underlays, the same for door bars, they may look similar to the unexperienced, but there is a big difference in quality between various bars, gripper and underlay from many manufacturers, however broadly speaking, CR are by no means the best value for money flooring company,nor most certainly are SCS. Most reputable independents will supply a better quality of advice, product and quality for your money.

Wow for an independent that's extremely "polite" !!!!!!!!!!!

Go local every time. The carpet is not too badly priced if you ignore the fake "99% OFF THIS WEEK ONLY" signs, but as you've found you get stung on everything else.

Can't remember the exact numbers, but our foam underlay was something like £3 p/m vs £10 p/m for the same stuff. Think our fitting was £130 for a 7m x 4m room, 13 stairs and upstairs hallway.

Wow for an independent that's extremely "polite" !!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, you just have to accept, that if a company is essentially providing the full service, they are entitiled to make a profit ;)

Any tom, dick or harry can flog product online from their front room at very low margin and also minimal risk, but those customers that buy from these places should accept that THEY will have to do the leg work to get it laid onto the floor with all the correct spec product. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back