Cast Concrete Manhole Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had to put in a manhole, so i bought a 5t manhole cover that had a plastic outer edge.

i made a form and fixed the plastic outer part to it, then cast the concrete, i also added some colouring to match the paviours.

now the problem is that the concrete is wearing away quite quick, seems to be soft.

how is this not as robust as the precast concrete you get?

canny mind the mix i used for it.

Sponsored Links
Wasnae strong enough ;) Precast- I think has fine aggregate and a strong mix, and sometimes reinforcing.

Wasnae strong enough ;) Precast- I think has fine aggregate and a strong mix, and sometimes reinforcing.

cheers, thats what i was thinking :(

looks like i'll have to do it again.......sometime :)

Of course there are always differences but often well mixed and tamped hand mixed concrete is stronger!

Did you perhaps pour it when it was too cold or put too much colouriser in it as concrete or mortar can be badly weakened by large amounts.

Sponsored Links
Of course there are always differences but often well mixed and tamped hand mixed concrete is stronger!

Did you perhaps pour it when it was too cold or put too much colouriser in it as concrete or mortar can be badly weakened by large amounts.

it was poured about april a few years ago, kept inside untill it was dry.

not sure if i should've put in some waterproofer, or could that also make it weak?

i put in enough colouring for it to lighten down, and TBH, the colour has came out a near match to the paviours

what mix did you use ???

can'y remember

but funnily enough, i met a brickie i used to work with years ago and he mentione that the precast stuff could be as strong as 2-1 and the powder colouring does have an effect on it.

cheers lads, looks like i'll maybe get it right this next time

I did wonder about the colouring :confused: .Thanks to your brickie M8 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back