Cast iron radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a very heavy cast iron radiator I wish to restore. I would like to know the process in which to do this. I have been advised against powder coating because there is a chance the seals can break?? I know a good way to remove the old paint is by sand blasting, but is there other ways I could do it without transporting it? Then what primer and paint/spray should I use? Can all this be done by myself or is it strictly a professionals job?
Thanks in advance for all replies.

Sponsored Links
Paint stripper, then wire brush on drill. And lots of elbow grease.

I done one last summer as it was to heavy to move around.

Once the old paint was removed I used red oxide paint and used hammered paint from wickes.

I did paint it black first but didn't like it so I went for white, which didnt look good either. In the end I went for silver.

Very Happy with it.

Andy

Flippin `eck Andy does it "radiate" at all through all that paint - specially with reflective Silver on the outside :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: stick to drains M8 ;) I have a small one , it`s getting 2 coats oil based white eggshell. and I even got a special radiator brush with the head @ 90 degrees to a thin metal handle . Y`know I almost followed my old dad into decorating - but it was too boring . Unfortunately I judged gas fitting as boring too @ the time :cry:

Unfortunately I judged gas fitting as boring too @ the time

Just think if you were a RGI then you would of been on £100k per year, according to the sun newspaper.:mrgreen:

Andy

Sponsored Links
I know :!: even @ £35k ish on BG I`d still be home @ 4.30 :LOL: Funny old life - I ducked and dived and ended up OK - it`s kinda interesting to ponder if I`d chosen Gas and then benifitted from the sell off and the shares and RGI registration , tho` to be honest I would`ve struggled with the calculations and the maths :rolleyes: . Don`t read the Sun , it`s too Tory

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back