Cat5 cable and where they connect to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to run a lengh of cat 5 cable from one socket to another, just need to know where the individual wires go?

Sponsored Links
you can't just extend a socket like that (if that is what you mean)

They aren't like telephones, i.e a bus configuration, you have to star wire back to a switch/hub.

We probably need a bit more info. As BAS said, the correct tool is important as is keeping the twists up right to the termination

And make sure you take the twisted pairs as close to the terminals as possible - ie, leave the cores twisted for as long as you can.

Dont kink the cable - install with care.

Sponsored Links
Hi, a cat5 cable is terminated with 8 pin 10baseT plugs. The individual colour coding can be obtained from many web sites, just Google. However, to fit these plugs to a cat5 cable you will need special crimping plyers, (not cheep).
But you can buy them ready made up (usually up to about 10m).
The thing to remember is, you can only have ONE networked device on each cat5 cable connected to a each single port on a switch, NORMALLY. Thats the way ethernet works.
However, to complicate things, most networked devices only use 4 of the 8 wires in a cat5 cable (pins 3 & 4 for recieve data and pins 5 & 6 for transmitt data). So with the use of two special breakout connectors (one at each end) you can actually use two network devices on a single cat5 cable (but you don't see that much these days.

well what i intend to do is have the cable from one socket to another, at one end there will be a short fly lead to a pc the other end another fly lead to a network switch.

Yes i do have the correct tool.

What you're effectively doing is using two wall sockets as two make-shift one port patch panels, in which case standard cabling layout, no crossover required.

Use the 568-B layout on both ends and you should be fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B

Shows the layout for the RJ-45 but not the socket end, sure you can find a link on there. The patch panels will normally have a card diagram on the back stating the layout.

568B seems to be standard nowadays (as opposed to 568A).
I do 99% of all my cables 568B, even for crossover as i tend to use kit that autodetects anyway so doesn't cause an issue.

Cat5/5e is nowhere near as fussy as cat 6, so you can get away with bending it all over the place. The intrernal UTP stuff allows you to tack it around door frames etc.
However keep it away from power cabling, unless the power is trunked/insulated.

I see what you’re doing now.

From the switch you’re using a standard cat5 fly lead with RJ-45 plugs.
This cable connects to a RJ-45 socket on the wall.
An installed cat5 cable then connects this socket to another RJ-45 socket, so where else.
From the final socket, another cat5 fly lead connects to your pc.

Although there may be variations, the following would be considered fairly standard:

Looking at the front of the socket, pin 1 is on the left (it may also be numbered on the back of the socket.)

Pin 1 - White / Orange trace
Pin 2 - Orange / White trace
Pin 3 - White / Green trace
Pin 4 - Blue / White trace
Pin 5 - White / Blue trace
Pin 6 - Green / White trace
Pin 7 - White / Brown trace
Pin 8 - Brown / White trace

The main thing to ensure is that ultimately Pin 1 goes to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2, and so on (they should not be crossed over. (A crossover lead would normally only be used when connecting two networked pc’s directly together, i.e. no switch.)

Also good advice from kjacko

Pin 1 - White / Orange trace
Pin 2 - Orange / White trace
Pin 3 - White / Green trace
Pin 4 - Blue / White trace
Pin 5 - White / Blue trace
Pin 6 - Green / White trace
Pin 7 - White / Brown trace
Pin 8 - Brown / White trace

The main thing to ensure is that ultimately Pin 1 goes to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2

And that the signal pairs are kept to a twisted pair in the cable

1 & 2 ( Orange pair)
7 & 8 ( Brown pair)
3 & 6 ( Green pair)
4 & 5 ( Blue pair )

so 3 & 4 although next to each other they are not a pair. Same for 5 & 6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back