catalytic converter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ford Focus 1.8 Y 2001 reg. Excellent condition full service record and never failed an MOT 48500 on the clock.

Recently noticed a bad egg smell in the car, usually just after starting and once when labouring a little on a hill , never happened before and we have had the car 8 years. It was suspected to be the catalytic converter so had an MOT done a month early and it passed the test, with one advisory about a little corrosion on the exhaust (not surprising it is the original)

I always buy my fuel from only 1 of 2 garages but I have been doing a lot of short journeys lately. Anyone know if it is possible for the car to pass emissions test even if the converter is going bad.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sounds like a batch of duff petrol. When I experimented with cats in the late '80s, they used to stink of rotten eggs. I think the refineries have cleaned-up their act (no pun intended!) since then and got the last traces of sulphur out of the fuel. Try a few tankfuls of something else and see if it goes away. It's unlikely to bother the car in itself, but if there's anything else wrong with the fuel it might.

Back