Category X used cars....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what this means other than minimal damage or stolen-recovered which will not be recorded on HPI?

What does that mean in terms of ownership? It's a very nice car and is within my price bracket so am interested, but I've never even heard of category X before, so want to know what I might be getting myself into if I bought it. The only problem the trader has said about it is that it needs Easystart to start. It's a Diesel so I can only assume there is a problem with the glowplugs if it needs easystart, but again if anyone else could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

It's a 2004 car with less that 120k on it and is for less that £1000 and in apparently excellent condition so I'm quite happy to buy something that needs a little work, but I don't want a project.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
I can't imagine that, stolen-recovered ,,, wouldn't show up on an HPI check really. If it had been stolen and the insurance co had paid out on the vehicle, then when it was recovered, it would become the property of the insurance co. This detail would be registered with HPI.
Bear in mind, that not a lot of stolen vehicles are recovered with no damage whatsoever.
Ask the dealer what he means by category x . If he has nothing to hide then he'd tell you.

Category X is effectively a vehicle which has been subject to an insurance claim, while withstanding minimal or nil damage or which could have been repaired in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

As it has been either fully repaired or minimally damaged the Code of Practice for the Disposal of Motor Vehicle Salvage does not apply.

Sponsored Links
What does that mean as a potential owner though?

Will I have to do anything out of the ordinary while owning it? Special tests, documentation, insurance?

(It's a Diesel so I can only assume there is a problem with the glowplugs if it needs easystart,)
if it was just glowplugs he would replace them it could be low Compression that will cost a lot to fix

Reckons he's taken it part-ex and can't be arsed to sort it since it runs, but I'd obviously have it checked out properly before paying for it.

Surely a 90k diesel engine shouldn't have compression issues though should it?

yes. it could be a head gasket common fault that will need the head skimming

Catagory X = no damage but has had other insurers interest
Catagory F = fire damage
Catagory W = water damage (flooding)

But if the engine needs Easy Start, then beware with capital B - it is truly awful stuff and has no real place starting diesels. If its needed, the engine is a crock anyway.
John :)

Easy Start is very popular with diesel engines that do not have glow plugs. The car you are looking at could have anything from worn glow plugs to injector failure!

Be very wary

Catagory X = no damage but has had other insurers interest
Catagory F = fire damage
Catagory W = water damage (flooding)

But if the engine needs Easy Start, then beware with capital B - it is truly awful stuff and has no real place starting diesels. If its needed, the engine is a crock anyway.

Presume flooded, but not started?

Usually a wrecked interior trim, but if the water was above the air filter then it would have surely entered one or more cylinders. Either way, you don't want the car back!

Usually a wrecked interior trim, but if the water was above the air filter then it would have surely entered one or more cylinders. Either way, you don't want the car back!

Yeah, or maybe a death in the car? Hosepipe in the window? No damage, but would you like to buy that? Ghoulish..I'd prefer that to be cat a, crushed.

There must be a few motors around that people have died in.

I've owned one, no worries.

Sponsored Links
Back