Caulk or silicone? New Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have had a new kitchen fitted. Where the new wall cupboards meet the painted wall, and where the upstands along counters meet the same painted walls, I need to know whether to:

a) use No Nonsense decorators caulk and then paint it. Bearing in mind that the caulk bead will be half on the cupboards (white) / upstands (wood effect), and half on the adjoining walls so painting it might not look quite right?

b) use clear silicone, or maybe a light grey like manhatten as the walls are a very light grey colour.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Where the wall cupboards meet the wall I would paint first then run a bead of silicone, either clear or colour matched to the cupboards. If you decide on caulk, to enable over painting, I would run a bead after painting so that it looks neat.

Thanks for the reply.

The walls are already painted. Done a week ago. Walls are a light grey sort of colour and cupboards white.

Which would your preference be, silicone or caulk that then gets painted?

Sponsored Links
Silicone should never be used any near a surface that needs to be painted (or repainted).

I would recommend either caulk, or a MS polymer. The latter being more flexible (eg CT1). Use very thin tape when applying it to maintain a straight edge. Remove the tape whist the MS polymer is still wet and smooth it again.

BTW, I am a decorator.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back