cavity block or solids.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Have never laid cavity block, only 9inch solids however i have a job on where the client has asked me to lay some. Im capable enough to build walls and small garages with 9inch solids but wanting to know would there be much difference between the 2 type blocks laying them.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean those hollow blocks?

Ive never seen them in the UK....

As Notch, never seen them over here; you would of course lay them open-side down.

Sponsored Links
I have seen farmers use them in sheds with steel bars in the holes filled with concrete but wondered what 'normal' building would require them.

Used some many years ago to build a small retaining wall, I found no difference than laying normal blocks except mortar needs to be a bit stiffe due to weight/bedding area being greater than normal blocks

' An example of how to lay the bed joints.' - and how not to do perpends !

At first, I was wondering how they managed to spread the mortar on such a narrow (1"?) edge of the block. But then look carefully and you see they do it by running the trowel on its side along the block.
Yes, the perps do look very casual, but probably most blockwork walls would be rendered so maybe rain penetration is not a problem.

Their blocks are a bit thinner, smaller and lighter than ours, and the centre is thicker at the top to make it easier to pick up one handed. The real strength of this type of blockwork is the rebar and concrete grout infill. When pumped in wet it finds it's way into any gaps in the perps.

In places like California many of these block walls are facework. With all the earthquakes there isn't much brickwork. The standard of work is really high, you have to remember that this is a competition, so they are only meeting lowest standards.
In a block wall one block out line shows up more than one brick in a wall.

Do you mean those hollow blocks?

Ive never seen them in the UK....

my house is built with the inner leaf being hollow blocks, with webs. They're dense concrete, very hard and heavy. One of the old builders who worked on the development told me it was because it's a 3-storey house more than 10m and lightweight blocks were assessed not strong enough.

They were a bit of a pig to drill or chase before i had an SDS+

In Italy they use something similar made of clay, and I was told that UK traditionally uses more solid clay bricks because our clay contains more shale oil, so once in the hot kiln, they contain some of their own fuel which makes them cheaper to fire than if you had to pay for it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back