Cavity liners - bad idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed 3 of those clay cavity liners, bridging the cavity from outer skin to inner skin.

They are about a foot below the joists of a ground floor kitchen extension. I've lifted the floor here and all looks well. Plenty of spiders webs etc, but no sign of rot/damp apart from the end of one joist, which I've replaced.

Why have i installed liners? Because I have a problem with slugs in this area. I hope just clearing out all the old rubbish (builders rubble/old lead pipes etc) will help. Also sealing old holes in the sub floor inner skin. But previously there were air bricks on the outside skin and a matching missing brick on the inside. I've put a cavity liner in, pointed it up on the inside so it'll be a good seal, and will put an air brick on the outside. So if that's how they were getting in, I'll be able to see. Whereas I suspect they've been living in the cavity. The slimy buggers.

But..... the cavity is now 'sealed'. So moisture can't escape from those surfaces. Was that a bad idea. It's a south eastern facing wall, the ground isn't damp as far as I can tell, and no sign of rising damp, but just having second thoughts.

What does anybody think. Cavity liners - good or bad?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back