Cavity vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front bays of my 1930's bungalow have cavity vents - they don't come through to the inside walls. I think they are making the inside walls cold (no insulation) which is causing condensation at the base of the wall at the wall/floor junction.

I am considering blocking them up on the outside - is this likely to cause problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cavity vents used to be common in the 30's, but were found to cause cold spots in the wall and are not used now.

OK cool - so sounds like blocking them up might be sensible

Without taking out the vented bricks and replacing with normal bricks, i wonder if a brick fascia could work as a temporary solution until i am satisfied it wont cause problems.. or any other ideas?

The front bays of my 1930's bungalow have cavity vents - they don't come through to the inside walls. I think they are making the inside walls cold (no insulation) which is causing condensation at the base of the wall at the wall/floor junction.

I am considering blocking them up on the outside - is this likely to cause problems?

Thanks

I did the same with my house and blocked them off. I cut a piece of clear perspex to size and used clear silicon to hold it in place.

Here is a thermal image from outside showing the cool air circulating in the cavity

here is the result of the cool air on the inside wall

Sponsored Links
If you want to block air bricks up, just use clear silicone - which can be removed if you subsequently find out it was a mistake.

Condensation damp at the base of a wall is more likely to be caused by a blocked cavity, and nothing to do with a ventilated cavity

Whilst Stuart is correct, in that ventilated cavities are an old-fashioned concept, it does not mean that you should then just block them up and remove that ventilation

Thanks woodie

To be honest i think the damp is mostly rising and or penetrating. I have had a camera in the cavity and as far as i could tell its not obviously blocked/chocked up.

My main reason for considering blocking the cavity vent is that the internal walls where the cavity vents are are very cold and i think making the rooms colder. Not helping anyway.

Reducing condensation would be benefit. The base of the wall is often around 10-12c.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back