Cavity wall insulation with high water table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Under the floor boards on the ground floor we have some water due to a high water table (we checked with neighbours and they've the same thing). My question is whether getting cavity wall insulation is likely to result in rising damp, with water being pulled up from the high water table? We are getting a builder to look at how to remove this water, but that won't change the level of the water table!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There have been recent posts on exactly this subject, perhaps you will research them.
1. you can sump pump the oversite water out, but you will be pumping the water table.
2. You can lay a membrane moisture barrier on the oversite, and up the "foundation" walls, to protect your suspended floor from fungal damage.
3. The makers claim that cavity insulation will not transmit moisture or allow capillary action. Whatever their claims, i doubt that the c/i will give you rising damp. But it's only a guess.
4. Some Councils are "condemning" retro-cavity insulation for a variety of excellent reasons - perhaps you will research the objections. I have always been against it. It has as much utility as Faux Stone cladding, and far more potential for damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back