CCTV Fuzzy Image - Possibly Wiring Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have had CCTV up in our house since we moved in but recently decided to upgrade some of the cameras for improved night vision.

After a mishap in the loft, I ended up pulling the shotgun cable away from the camera which resulted in both the power and the BNC disconnecting. It also tripped a fused in my power supply which killed all cameras in the house.

Anyway, fuse replaced, finally plugged the camera back in but now the image on the camera which was disconnected is very fuzzy. Ive tried all the settings, focus, zoom and nothing. Also, when in the menu, even this is fuzzy.

I've tried a 2nd camera and has the same issue.

Can only assume its the cabling, but was wondering if it was worth replacing the BNC connector first as I could have dislodged that?

I would struggle to see how I "broke" the rest of the cable, unless tripping the fuse did something?

Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

Karl

Sponsored Links
Check it as thoroughly as you can. "Shorting out" means that the central conductor is connecting to the outer braid/foil. It shouldn't do this!

Check that the central pin of the BNC plug sticks out as far as the collar part and that the outer braid is connected to the outside. If in doubt, try to wiggle and pull the plug off - if it comes off, replace it!!

Try connecting the camera coax directly to your monitor, if you can. This would tell you whether the DVRs inputs that are damaged or the coax.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks. I will plug the camera directly into the DVR and power it externally to make sure all ok.

I have tried changing the 4 cameras around and all other cameras display OK on that channel.

I dont have a crimping tool but have ordered some twist on BNC connectors which will hopefully do the job.

Thanks again for the reply.

Karl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back