CCTV in block of flat and connection via homeplugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are currently installing CCTV in my building. The recording equipment will be in the underground car park, so not easy to get a telephone line there with ADSL.

Therefore, I am thinking that maybe we could use homeplugs between the underground level and ground level to network the equipment, and then connect the network to ADSL.

Is that likely to work through the communal electricity network?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
It's possible but not guaranteed.
Homeplug works best if both ends are on the same electrical circuit, and in your case they may or may not be.
If it's a large block it might have a three phase supply with different phases supplying the two floors. In that case it very likely won't work.
You will really have to buy some units to try. Fortunately they are not very expensive.

if you call bt and order a new line, you can simply tell the engineer that's where you want the line to oh and they will find a solution to getting it there.

Sponsored Links
if you call bt and order a new line, you can simply tell the engineer that's where you want the line to oh and they will find a solution to getting it there.
Thanks.

Do they have to install a master socket wherever we ask in the property?

Our DVR will be located in the underground car park, while all the BT lines are arriving in a cupboard on the ground floor.

Wiring from the ground floor to the basement could be quite a task.

Is it a fixed installation fee to pay BT?

Within reason, they will install were you want. You may find some engineers try to blag an easy install though!

If it is a lot of extra work for them, they will impose "non standard installation" charges, but will quote for this.

If you're installing CCTV cables to the DVR, can you not also run an Ethernet or CW1308? Sometimes what one person sees as "near impossible" is more straightforward than you may believe.

You may also consider WiFi bridging.

They might well work even if not on the same building supply. IIRC there's a demonstration on http://www.ban-plt.co.uk where they set up a link where one part is on a completely isolated power circuit fed from an inverter - ie the only connection is via radiated radio waves.

I'll repeat what I usualy say when someone asks about them - just don't ! See the above link for the reasons why unless you are an antisocial b***ard who doesn't give a **** about anyone else (including users of ADSL !).

Besides, as others have pointed out, there is almost certainly a cable route there - you just need to find it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back