CCTV Rules for Domestic installs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to install a CCTV at my house (domestic).
What are the rules that need to be followed?
Is there any restriction on how many cameras?
Is there a limit to distance apart (e.g. 2 not within 3m of each other)
Is there a restriction on Pointing to cover drive, but overlap to neighbours drive/ garden (not directly at their house).

Any info will help.
Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
Domestic cctv, have what you want and how many....no rules.

Neighbours cant say anything. I have 5 all around my house pointing up and down the road.

Soon to be six as I want anther auto dome.

Andy

Domestic cctv, have what you want and how many....no rules."
That's wrong on so many levels.

Neighbours can and do complain - especially if you're not already on good terms with them. One of my cameras looks diagonally across next door's front garden and I made a point as soon as it was fitted of showing a snapshot to them to make sure they were happy. I have a camera at the rear too, but made sure it was pointing away from their back garden because that would just be too intrusive.

There are official rules on CCTV and you can find then here:
http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/topic_guides/cctv

Sponsored Links
The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt.

That's what is says in the link given page 5

But it also says:

This code covers the use of CCTV and other systems which
capture images of identifiable individuals or information relating
to individuals for any of the following purposes:

Seeing what an individual is doing, for example monitoring
them in a shop or walking down the street.

Potentially taking some action in relation to an individual, for example handing the images
over to the police to investigate a crime.

[my bold]

The reason I posted is that last year my cameras picked up a known burglar across the road. The scrote's defence lawyer persuaded the police that the camera evidence was invalid because my cameras picked him up in someone else's private garden. That was outside the 'domestic' permission and my cameras should have been registered. The police dropped the case.

@Sally

sounds about right, you could have evidence on a rapist but they would get let off on some stupid technicality.

would have thought the get out, was you agreed with the other garden owner it was okay, I am guessing the owner would want the guy convicted?

Essentially, as long as it is not pointing into a neighbours windows then you can do anything with them.

And if someone complains, just say "oh that ones a dummy camera" :)

@Hoover
The owner was of course keen to have him prosecuted, but the registration couldn't be backdated. That's what the police told me anyway - I think they consulted the CPS.
The burglar got away with it that time but is already back inside for something else. He must like prison food, or making friends in the shower :)

Your mind and its placing is beyond words prison shower....lol.

The Police may have consulated but if your neighbour says you mentioned at the time and everyone was happy.

Just because it wasn't in black and white doesn't mean it wasn't mutually agreed and it saved them getting there own camera.

Everything registered now, and how long did that take or cost?

I wasn't going to get involved with registration - too much trouble and expense. I dodged the issue by dipping the cameras at the front of the house so they only see across the road and not into the properties on the other side.

What about all the people who use webcams on a pc or IP cams to send time/movement triggered image captures or live video/audio streams to websites?

Would such a setup be classified as CCTV and fall under CCTV rules?
As such a setup is effectively BROADCASTING to an external location or third party(s) online, (IE; Not a 'Closed Circuit' system) would it be covered by different rules, and possibly even some form of broadcasting regs?

Just a thought... Will RF spectrum changes make the future more COLOURFUL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back