CCTV..what do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I need a cctv system for a small shop. Two cameras is sufficient. After 2 years of hard going trade wise, my budget is going to be limited. I've had a look on several sites and am now more baffled than before. I have a friend who is an electrician and while he doesn't have any experience of installing cctv he will be able to fit it no problem but he can't really give me advice on what to buy. I reckon it would take me all day to type in all of the questions I have, so I wondered if anyone can direct me to a site that will have the relevant info (bearing in mind I have no knowledge whatsoever of cctv)? All the sites I've found are sellers and I can't really see the info I need. I don't want to spend a fortune but neither do I want to buy something over the internet only to find it's not what I need. Any help welcome!

Thanks in advance
Mike

Sponsored Links
Without any information how can anyone help you??

size of area?
Any possible blindspots (shelving, corners etc)?
What are you trying to achieve?
How much detail do you require?
lighting?
Remote viewing?
Budget?????

if you are looking for general information it is available on google but you may need to be more specific on the questions you put in.

If you require specific advice from here then we will also like google need specific information.

Such as covert or overt cameras, how long do you want to record for, what quality image do you want to get out from the recordings, do you want to record at night time when it is dark. do you need a monitor to view images on. the list is only limited by imagination and prices.

Is it to catch someone of suspected pilfering or general deterant from pilfering or is it to catch people loitering outside out of hours etc.

Info will unlock answers.

Rob

Sponsored Links

Thanks for the replies. The last link above was the kind of thing I was looking for, lots of info there but a lot of it still goes over my head. I'm going to re-read the whole thing again, but it was pretty helpful. Basically I want to cover the interior of a shop of around 4m x 8m. I can easily mount two cameras without any obstructions obscuring the coverage. The shop is fairly well lit and I don't need to film at night. I think a 500G DVR would have sufficient memory for my purposes. I don't need covert cameras and I would like to have a fairly sharp image around the till area. Would a ceiling mounted dome type camera be best? As I would like the system to act as a deterrent to would be shoplifters cameras mounted where they're visible would suit best. In order to watch in real time over the internet does the system have to be permanently connected through a computer or can this be done via the DVR? There are hundreds of systems to choose from ranging from a couple of hundred pounds upwards. A rough idea of how much I'd have to spend to get something reasonable would be good. Also, do the systems have audio on them as standard, or is this something you have to check the spec to see?

to monitor continuously over the internet may use a lot of data allowance.

many of the cheaper/smaller systems have 1 sound channel; if you are recording audio you need to be aware the ICO code of practice is very stringent in this regard

one thing you may want is that many EPOS systems have a CCTV output so you can record the EPOS audit print on the cctv system, this means you can match up later what the customer was buying with what was put through the till and find out if the staff are sgiving their friends discounts.

A few answers.

Why stick at two cameras a DVR is 4 at minimum. A waste of inputs if not used.
4 Cameras will also detect the more "deceitful" toss er in your premises.

500GB is about the smallest now and will suffice for your needs, a 1TB would be overkill.

For remote viewing it needs to be connected to a router not a PC.

Audio is an extra and needs a few more components.

As this is public you need to be aware of the Data Protection Act and have the correct warning signs fitted. Also the operator of the systems contact details.
This is of course if done correctly.

Something like this could be useful for you http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/products/Silver-Enforcer-Vandal-Dome-4-Camera-Package.html

Feel free to ask more questions.

If you want to catch shop lifters then have both dummy cameras and covert ones. The shoplifters will tend to conceal their activity from the dummy cameras and not from the coverts.

A free source of advice might come from other shops that have got CCTV installed. Make sure they know you are a bona fida shop keeper and not someone trying to defeat their security.

Trouble with "dummies" is they look it still.
Although some of the newer dome ones do now look a bit more convincing.

As I said why waste 2 channels, use 2 covert and 2 overt cameras and watch what happens. Sorry for that poor pun.

One shop I know has a screen showing customers the view from the 4 "dummy" cameras which proves they are not "dummies" but the recorder records from the covert cameras which the criminals do not see.

Why then is he not using 8 channels and recording ALL of the "Action"?
Although I see the idea of creating a "blind" spot where the thieves will feel secure.
Hence the use of "privacy" on certain cameras, although easy to spot if you know how as the number sequences are not matching. Another reason to not use camera numbers but names. Easily done but many forget.

If you want to catch shop lifters then have both dummy cameras and covert ones. The shoplifters will tend to conceal their activity from the dummy cameras and not from the coverts.

A free source of advice might come from other shops that have got CCTV installed. Make sure they know you are a bona fida shop keeper and not someone trying to defeat their security.
With upwards of 40,000 camera's installed shop side, we do NOT use dummy camera's - pointless exercise.
ALL camera's are recorded although we do display the live feed onto local monitors in vulnerable areas. Like you say, to let the scroats know they are being watched.

Coverts are fine but also come with legal restrictions and implications. Once they have served their purpose for the specific concern, we have to remove them (more a staff issue than general public).

denso 13 many thanks,your previous links have given me all the answers i need.

cheers fella.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back