CD-RW Drive not responding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, :cry:

Have recently developed a problem with my CD-RW drive. When i open up computer to access my "D" drive it is telling me that i have a compact disc inserted when in fact nothing is in the drive. When i do insert a disc and try to run it i get a prompt telling me to insert a disc. When i right click on my d drive and look at the properties then settings tab i am being told that media type "Device is not ready". Have used the ADD/REMOVE hardware facility in control panel but still unable to clear prob. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

George

OS - Windows Me
CD-RW - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R1002

Sponsored Links
Could also be Windows ME playing it's usual trix. One way to tell for sure, is to put a bootable CD (Windows ME?) in the drive, set the BIOS to boot from CD and see what happens.

If it boots, then it's likely ME has gone udders up. Best thing is to back up everything you need and re-install ME. If it doesn't boot, then Eds post would seem appropriate.

Search on the CD-Rewriter's website for any firmware updates for the drive. Upgrading the firmware could help to solve the problem. What happens when you insert a CD, How does the "disc-in" light behave? Does it just slowly flash

Hope this helps

Martin

Sponsored Links
Hi all, :D

Had a go at replys posted and in the end it was the actually hardware that had given up the ghost, so brought a new one and after fitting it, drive now as good as new

Rgds

George

Back