Cedar Corner bench Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to make a corner bench out of cedar like the one in the picture. I have a lot of spare cedar (18mm x 44mm section) from another project which I can use for the slats. I'm now looking into how I will assemble it. Cedar is very soft and I want a sturdy bench so I'm wondering whether it is best to use a different wood for the cross supports (indicated by the blue arrows in the second picture)?. What do you think? In the shown model I have used 18 x 68 mm section cedar but these cross supports won't be on show so I'm thinking of making them out of another material. The supports are directly attached to the legs

Ed
1711052371085.png

1711052458386.png

Sponsored Links
If you have lots of cedar of that section to use up then you should orient the supports perpendicularly as they'll be stronger in that direction.
If you have to buy more timber to make this then you might as well buy the right section to start with.

Thanks for your input. Are you talking aobut something like this?
1711105180732.png

I personally prefer the longitudinal type arrangement visually but agree this would be much stronger. I was trying to replicate a corner bench I found on contemporary fencing website. See below. I will have to buy some more cedar for it anyway
1711105323161.png

1711105381686.png

That's not what I meant actually, but maybe it is better.
I meant the front-to-back bracing would be stronger with its widest edge vertically oriented [there will be some proper technical words to explain this that I'm missing].

Sponsored Links
Euler, the Swiss mathematician showed that stiffness increased as the cube of the depth, so in your second picture you rotate the underneath pieces so they are deeper and not wider, the bench will be much stiffer.

Yes you’re both right. I am going to find some thicker cross supports. I think what is required is a section with high moment of area if I remember back to my engineering days. A long time ago!

I think the main issue is that the length wise battens, as drawn, will have a span of around 570mm between leg supports and the battens aren’t very stiff. I could make a stiffer frame that I screw the battens to and/or I might just buy another pair of supports to reduce the span.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back