Ceiling and wall splitting apart window popping and cracking paint round the frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give me an idea of what is going on in in the bottom of an old 4 floor hotel I'm at street level looking at the road but the back is technically underground this cracking is all round the window frame of a bay window above the bay type window there is a wall lengh running crack at various leveles of widemess but small but my floor creaks aswell on the other side when I walk over is this a moisture problem asking cause of the mold even if it doesnt seem to be getting worse it's still there..
1000000034.jpg
1000000035.jpg
1000000032.jpg
1000000029.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wood cracking in the window frame from temperature and moisture changes. When painting I used dry flex resin to fill cracks which fixed it all together as one.
Mould is from high moisture in the air that could be coming from under the floorboard as that will be gravel or or soil. Moisture could be also coming from washing being dried. Cooking or just a bit of damp in the property...
White vinegar and water 50/50 costing 60p is a safe cleaner for mould as bleach will damage paint.
A dehumidifier on for a few hours in the evening will help stop mould or find a more modern building.
Floor has aged with some give or has some rot causing movement and creaking.
Just an old property with issues like millions of others in the UK

Looks to be poorly maintained , mould will occur with poor ventilation or poor lifestyle choices like drying washing indoors .

Sponsored Links
OP,
Could you stand back and take pics:
showing all the window boards, the ceiling, & down to the floor on the three walls?
And pics of the outside of the bay and the bay surrounds including the crack?
And a pic of the front elevation of the building?
The joist tails in the bay floor sound like they are rotted?
Has anyone been under the floor & inspected the conditions?
Is the flat above empty & can be entered for a quick check?

The condensation is the least of your problems - it looks like you have penetrating damp, & possibly rising damp?
The window board is pulling away from the frame, & rot can be seen in the trim woodwork.
The crude skirting and bad plastering suggest previous remedial work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back