ceiling cables have got me confused.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have installed a new light in my kitchen that works fine, but now have no ceiling lights in my lounge ?

the only wires i have touched are in the kitchen.

The set up is:

single light switch with single cable in.

in ceiling 3 cables of black and red wires.

the connector on the new light says L N LOOP

I have put 2 red wires to the L
I have put 2 black wires to the N
I have put 1 red wire to the LOOP
I have put 1 black wire to the LOOP

Have i put one of the switch wires in wrong ?
how do i know what wire is from the switch ?

thanks for reading ;)

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound correct.

Do the lounge lights come on, even dimmly, when you have the kitchen on at the same time?

Have a look in the for reference section (top topic on the index screen), you can see how lighting circuits are wired in there, to save me explaining, unless you need it!

You seem to know your stuff ;)
Yes they come on when the kitchen light is on :rolleyes:

Maybe explaining to me would be best. :confused:

All red wires need to go into the loop.

Two black wires, which are neutrals need to go into the N

One blank wire, which is actually a live (coming back from the switch) needs to go into the L

The black which is actually live, and on its own, should have red tape or sleeve on it to identify it, although this is sometimes missing.

You need to identify which cable runs to the switch to identify this black. If you can't see the cable run, you need to use a multi meter or similar to continuity test the cable.

Dont just try random black cables - you are likely to cause a short circuit, damage your switch, and blow your fuse ;)

Sponsored Links
frank spencer 2 said:
Maybe explaining to me would be best. :confused:

if you cant understand what you have done wrong by looking at the diagram in for reference, call an electrician.

Thanks Lectrician,I have a multimeter with a buzzer to tell you if you have made a circuit,will find the cable from the switch in daylight monday.

I think i got it,I never realised that a circuit was made between the living room dinning room and kitchen,the reference pics are a great help.
thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back