ceiling fell down!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renting at an old property that seems to have been refurbished possibly 5-10 yrs ago. Recently the ceiling in my second bedroom came down, but there is a history.

The room had damp smell two years ago and water leaking from the ceiling light. The landlord came in with his plumber and said the bathroom from the upstairs was leaking, so he had the tiles fixed. Then he just repainted the ceiling with emulsion. Doesn't sound right does it?

Then again, this year I got discoloured patches, stains and damp smell with water dripping occasionally. After telling the landlord it must be the bathroom from upstairs again, he eventually brought a roofing builder to repair the roof.

Apparently this coincided with leaks to the flat upstairs. He insisted the roof was leaking and had caused the problem, but I believe he made this assumption on his own. I later understood that no qualified person had inspected my ceiling.

The ceiling returned to the same state a couple of months later and just as I was about to call the landlord in again it came down one evening. The landlord brought the roofing builder in who said it was a "bad job" with double plasterboard under old laths which made it very heavy. He said the fall is due to a leak relating to the plumping upstairs. Next day he came in and removed all the ceiling and rotten parts, and placed supporting planks on the main beams.

I am concerned about safety as I have no independent opinion and all the information comes from his people. I tried to get the EH to come in and have a look, but they said they won't get involved as the landlord is looking after the problem! Even though I explained the entire history of the cause.

I would like a second opinion if possible from the following pictures. The first one is after it fell off and the next ones are after it was removed. The beams extend to the rest of the house, is this safe?

I have more images if it helps, thanks

Sponsored Links
Cheap skate landlord has had five or six attempts already, move out find some were else to live.

i don't get it. Whats the 4x1 pinned to the joist for? The fact thats it's cleaned up and ready to go is good. Only prob i see is if they don't use long enough screws.

I'd be looking to find out what the open-ended pipe is in the top right of the last picture and where the other end goes to.

Sponsored Links
My gran`s rented house had a hole like that in a ceiling - landlord never did fix it :cry: Mind you they only paid 5/- a week :mrgreen:

I am certainly in the process of leaving this place, I cannot trust any work done in it.

I still wanted to know if this is a case of previous bad workmanship on this ceiling from those who have experience? I mean beyond the damage incurred by the leaks and how long would it take for a leak to cause this?

I still wanted to know if this is a case of previous bad workmanship on this ceiling from those who have experience? I mean beyond the damage incurred by the leaks and how long would it take for a leak to cause this?
Could be poor installation/repair, however the real question is was the leak actually fixed?

Leaks can show up in minutes, days, weeks or even months.
All depends on how much water is leaking, where and onto what.

Any ceiling which has water constantly leaking onto it will fail, regardless of how well it was constructed.

I still wanted to know if this is a case of previous bad workmanship on this ceiling from those who have experience?
I'm afraid there's people out there haven't got a clue what to do! You got to find out why it was leaking in the first place as some of them do guess work

The fact is that if you are unhappy , and you can find somewhere else , and not be too much out of pocket - you`re better off moving . You`d never sleep soundly . It really isn`t worth the hassle . No one can say 100% what is /isn`t wrong with the house/flat . from a computer screen . All the best ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back