Ceiling fitting buzzing

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to take the fitting down and have a proper look, do you access to an IR tester?

Am going to call in on the way home tonight to swop it for a simple pendant.

Can then examine at leisure.

I have a simple (£10ish) tester that will do volts and continuity. First step is to take the crimps off and see which leg is causing it.

Having googled IR tester, and got past the Infra Red testers, no I don't have one, may be able to borrow one from the electrician in the office.

Sorry, IR = Insulation Resistance tester often referred to as a Megger (but don't call it that in an exam!!)

Sponsored Links
The light is sitting in the boot of the car at the moment, not seen our office electrician for a couple of days, will report back when I can speak to him.

I don't understand what Sumitra is trying to say either.

Saw our electrician this morning and he has done and IR test and reports that all is OK.

He also plugged it in and says it does not buzz.

So will put it back up and see how it goes.

It must be that when you attach the fitting to its base, a vibration occurs.

That is the only thing different (assuming it was wired up in the same way) when your office guy tested it: it was on the bench.

It is back up and not buzzing.

All that has changed is the two crimps which were removed and replaced with chocblocks - looks like it was one of them!

Thanks for the help.

Every thing gives of sound even if we do not generally hear it. I will bet you the sound is coming from the lamp itself, this actually might sound daft but i assure you its not uncommon especially with cheap lamps. I would suggest you take one lamp out at a time to see if you can locate the one, if not replace all of them with a different make.

All that has changed is the two crimps which were removed and replaced with chocblocks - looks like it was one of them!

Do you really think that? :confused:
Isn't it more likely that a little speck of grit, or a bit of swarf, was just bouncing around in there, and you've now tipped it out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back