Ceiling Joist Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the correct forum or not but seemed like the most suitable. Also I am sorry about the long post

I had a plasterer start work on my bedroom on friday and he was almost finished on Saturday when the plaster he had put on the ceiling fell off, he was plastering over an artex(?) ceiling and he said because he had to build it up so much the weight was too much, I know he used a lot of pva and bonded the ceiling first before plastering.

This wasn't a major problem and he agreed to rip all the entire ceiling down and reboard it for me then skim it and I only had to cover the materials which I thought seemed fair as the price he had quoted originally was very good, he has done plastering for me before and the work was very good, he is a friend of a friend and I do trust him.

The major problem was today when he ripped all the old plasterboard off, he informed me that the wooden joists that the old plasterboard was nailed to were too small and would need to be replaced, I thought this was strange because as far as I know its all original since the house was built.

I know hes not trying to get more money out of me as he is not charging me any more labor and told me I would need to get a joiner out to look at this.

The wooden joists at 1.5"x1.5" and I have taken some pictures of this also

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4305/imag1240v.jpg
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8053/imag1239.jpg

Any help or advice with this would be appreciated as my entire house has this stuff on the walls and ceilings and he said I would need to replace the joists and plasterboard in all the rooms when I am looking them re plastered.

David

Sponsored Links
The ceiling joists are a little on the small side, and are widely spaced. However,they look in good condition, and if they are supported by hangers off the roof structure (which they appear to be) there would be no problem. Plasterboard and skim is very light. The old plaster probably fell because of inadequate fixing to the joists, rather than any defect in the joists themselves.
(don't even think of putting a loft bedroom up there, though!)

The slight twist will not affect its load-carrying ability. The plasterer just needs to be careful when fixing the boards. As the joists are so light, it would be adviseable to screw the boards rather than try to nail,

Sponsored Links
If those so called ceiling joists are 32x32 then they are way way undersized.
What is the span of the room and present centres on the joists?
Out of curiosity are the joists running parallel to the rafters?

They look OK to me, as they are held up by those steel angle iron bearers

It's some kind of early false ceiling, surely?

theoldun";p="2465960 said:
they are way way undersized.
quote]

Not if they are adequately supported from above He had a problem with the plaster, not the joists. Its only a ceiling, not the floor of a foundry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back