Ceiling light from fused spur off ring mains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a ceiling light in a new cloakroom I'm fitting under the stairs. The problem is that the lighting circuit is quite far away. Am I able to run a spur off the ring main with a fused pull cord switch to a ceiling light? If so can I use any standard light fitting?

Please advise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, fused down through a FCU. Put a 3A or 5A fuse in it, and put a label on the FCU saying "Lighting - 5A fuse"

(this can be done quite neatly using permanent marker and white vinyl tape)

You don't need to use a pull-cord switch - why not use a switched FCU on the wall as the light switch?

Sponsored Links
I would also consider wiring the lighting circuit in 1.5mm cable. This way there will be no harm should somebody accidentally put a 13A fuse in the FCU!

EDIT: As long as you don't loop other lights off of it - the light's terminals will probably be 5A rated!

Hi there i did this on a job, wired a store room light on a fused switch spur off the ring main from a socket, but i left the 13 amp fuse in because we did this with flood lights in back garden on newbuilds that we worked, used 1.5 mm in all cases, do i need to go back and change the fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back