Run ceiling fan with light off ring main spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
Apologies if this seems a stupid post. I have jut installed a ring main spur from my garage out to a conservatory to give me a double-socket there for lawnmower, radio etc. however, I have been thinking about the possibility of installing a ceiling fan for the summer (ho ho) in case it's hot. Is it possible to spur off of the ring main spur I have created to run the ceiling fan? With a FCU of course -the reason I ask is that ceiling fans are of course usually run off of the lighting circuit which I assume s lower amp than the ring main.

Cheer all

Firgman

Sponsored Links
There are two basis types of spur. Those with a fuse at the origin and those with a fuse at the destination.

Where a simple socket is connected to a ring then the fuse is in the plug so that is a fuse at the destination these are limited to supplying a single item. So if this method was used then really you can't extend without altering the original set-up.

In theory 3 meters is the maximum distance where fused at the destination (434.2.1) although many don't worry about the rule. So the spur should have a fused connection unit (FCU) at origin. If this is the case then it can be extended. The simple method is to use a switched FCU to operate the extras with a 3A fuse fitted.

There are many rules which include all new sockets must be RCD protected (there are some exceptions but not as far as you are worried). Also volt drop and loop impedance measurements which mean in real terms the DIY man is unlikely to comply with all the rules. So if you are just trying to keep it safe then with a RCD and a simple plug in tester likely OK. But if you are thinking about landlord inspections or house sale then unlikely you can comply are reasonable cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back