Ceiling light wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up a ceiling lamp. There's no previous photos of what the wires connection layout was before. Nothing else in room like a fan etc, just a wall switch to operate it.
Ceiling wires has two black, one red and one green/yellow.
The bathroom light is not operating either although it was before disconnection of the wires in question.
New lamp has a brown and blue wire into it's own separate connector block and I've added a small nut, bolt and washer on the metal inside the new lamp in preparation for the earth.
With a bedside lamp I've identified the switch cable (black) and marked it with red tape. There's also 2 small ten centimetres long wires (a blue and a brown) not connected to anything but we're involved in it's successful operation before. I have new connector blocks to aid in the fitting.
I'm looking for advice in what wires get connected to what?
I can post photos in the morning if required.

Attachments

• IMG_20240419_154824.jpg
    IMG_20240419_154824.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20240419_145701.jpg
    IMG_20240419_145701.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Where are the" 2 small ten centimetres long wires" ,and what were they connected to ?
Where is the second black wire connected ?

Last edited:
Hi Terry.
The two small wires are on the window sill for safe keeping.
The power is off and there are no wires from the ceiling connected to that lamp, that mock photo was just to show the type of lamp. Photo taken with no power on and any ceiling wires are now hanging out the ceiling hole attached to nothing.

So your pictured light fitting is not the one you are going to fit ?
I don't really follow your info re the bedside lamp being used to establish the switched live is black ??
I suspect the 2 black wires are neutrals and the red wire is the switched live,but you would need testing equipment to confirm this.
Do you have any voltage measuring instruments ?

Sponsored Links
It's dark, in the morning I'll go back and lay all the pieces out unattached (small wires,lamp,blocks) and a ceiling photo of the hole showing 4 wires with one of them marked with red tape.

But how did you use the bedside lamp to establish a black wire was the switched live ?

The lamp in the photo is the new lamp to be fitted.
I've taken it all down as something is not correct if her bathroom light is now not working although the lamp in the photo did switch on and off perfectly when I arrived to look at it.

Bedside lamp, I put one black and the red wire to determine the switched live.

Ok the lamp worked with one red wire and one black wire connected to it. Which it would do if the red wire was live and the black neutral.

Ok, I'll go around there in the morning and start from the beginning. And take photos of the two small wires with everything laid out and I'm taking the tape off the one I marked. Thanks Terry.

I take that the two wires (brown and blue) are just short pieces, not inside the ceiling going somewhere else?

In that case we can safely ignore them for the time being.

Correct, just short pieces.
No idea what they were attached to.

Hi, didn't get the chance to get down there today.
It's my sister's house and she's away all week and she's the one that didn't take a photo!
I'll try make time to go in the morning and get photos of everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back