Ceiling light wires

Are there any wires hidden up inside the ceiling? With only one red, two blacks and one earth I can‘t see how the bathroom light would be affected.

The most logical explanation (but by no means the only one) would be that red is the switched live, the blacks are neutrals and two permanent lives are linked out of side.

You need some kind of measuring device (multimeter or two-pole voltage tester) so you can measure which is which.

Measure between red and earth with the switch in both positions. If you only get 230 V (or thereabouts) with the switch in one position, red is the switched live. Then measure from red to both blacks, one after another, while the switch is one. The black that gives you 230 is the incoming neutral. If that‘s what you get, connect both blacks to the blue on the light and red to brown. Earth to earth.

If not, you might need to get an electrician involved.

Sponsored Links
Is this just not conventional conduit wiring, with a neutral in, and neutral out, and a switched live?

Can you see another continuous red wire simply running from one conduit to another conduit in the round circular ceiling box?

Thanks for all the messages.
I'm only on quick, I'm back tomorrow. Here is a few things that may narrow things for you.
Kitchen ceiling wires -Two black together into neutral, red into live, y/g into earth - The lamps only wall switch operating on & off as normal, the bathroom lamp not working, the bathroom lamp wall switch now operating kitchen lamp as does kitchen switch.
With the multimeter black probe on the earth, the red and one black showing power (I've marked it with red tape).
No other wires in ceiling.
The 2 small wires taped for purpose of photo and I've no idea what part they played.
I've sent photos of how it looks now and I'll be back there tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_154053.jpg
    IMG_20240429_154053.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240429_151228.jpg
    IMG_20240429_151228.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
A huge thank you to Ragnar_AT.
Your instructions were clear, easily understood for someone not in the lighting business and a very accurate diagnosis of the problem.
I followed your instructions and it's all working perfectly.
Bathroom is shiny and bright and back to normal too.
I've figured out the two small pieces of wires must have been just to lengthen and enable to reach the old lamp connection fittings. I've done the same thing with longer, new pieces of correct colour coded wires to make it easier for me to get access for my hands/tools. This new lamp is (5ft) compared to old lamp (3ft).
Ragnar_AT and everyone else who helped out, thank you !

Yes, that‘s why I suggested disregarding them for the time being as they very likely didn‘t have anything to do with your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back