Ceiling Nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have been having a nightmare with a skimmed ceiling in the living room. (Previously artex). This was done over a year ago and was mist coated with Leyland matt emulsion (50 50 mix) and two further coats. Every time in the same positions it looks really patchy, after the first couple of coats i thought i had missed areas, but after further coats and making sure i was keeping wet edges and not over rolling (watched so many you tube videos on painting ceiling’s) I give up. Fast forward to this year when we have renovated our lounge and kitchen I thought I would give it another go with a more expensive paint, this time I chose Delux Trade Vinyl Matt and again the same result patchy finish in the daylight! My father in law has now sanded it and painted it again but still it looks awful if not a touch worse. I am starting to think it may be the plaster at fault, in the areas where it appears patchy from distance.

The plaster from underneath does seem grainier, if I stand underneath it, it looks perfectly white, but if I stand in the kitchen and look into the lounge it looks awful like I have missed patches. As a last resort before the flooring is laid I have ordered a flat matt paint (anti reflex 2), would it help if I re primed the ceiling with a quality primer such something from the Zinesser range e,g, bulleye 123 or Guardz? before painting with Anti reflex 2?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions before I go mad!

IMG_3830.jpg
IMG_3831.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back