Ceiling plasterboard crack due to missing nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Noticed a crack on the kitchen ceiling, which is in a straight line for approx 6 inches. One side of the crack has dropped slightly, so there's a 1mm "edge".

I think the reason is due to something the bathroom fitters have done. In order to fit some of the pipework in, they re-config'd some of the joists. In doing so, they've removed a couple of the nails that attached the kitchen ceiling plasterboard to the underside of the joists. Maybe they thought that removing a couple of them wouldn't be a big deal.

So, my initial thought was to re-introduce a couple of plasterboard nails into where the new bits of joist are, to add a bit of support and stop the crack worsening. Unfortunately, the new bits of joist are approx 1cm less deep than the original bits, so there's a gap between plasterboard and joist.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be wise to bang nails into a gap, even if the nails reach as far as the joist? Failing that, I'm wondering what my options would be. Ideally, I'd like to avoid opening up either the bathroom floor or the kitchen ceiling as both are pretty new.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Personally and professionally, nails are no longer used and have not been for many, many years.

If you are unable to access the area to but some secure fixing points in, how do you know there is a gap between board and noggins?

Screwing is the done thing, but you need good fixing points to screw in. Cannot think for the life in me, why fitting a bathroom would be hindered by a couple of plasterboard nails and if they were a need to move fixing and supports, why they did not use an alternative method hold things in place.

Hi Cantique,

how do you know the ceiling is attached with nails?

Also normally joints are taped to add a little reinforcement.

One or two Drywall Screws should be enough to re secure the board, if there is a slight gap between the board and the joist above it you may be able to wangle a small spacer/shim in there so the board fits flush.

Doesn't sound like a big problem but without photos it's hard to be sure what has happened. I would mention it to any trades that were involved because if they caused it then they should really perform the remedial work, however if it's not their fault you can put it right yourself.

Thanks for your replies...

PBoD:
  • I was only assuming plasterboard nails were used; the ceiling's been there for (I think) decades. I just figured that was the norm.
  • I'm aware of the gap because I fitted the bathroom's floorboards to replace the flaky chipboard that was previously there. Took a bunch of photos to remind me where the "dangers" were (wires, pipes, etc). Didn't notice the gaps at the time but the photos show them.
  • It's not so much that the nails were in the way; a couple of the joists were re-configured, so those nails/screws are no longer in that place. There are new bits of joists nearby but it seems that no fresh fixings were made to attach the plasterboard. Looks like two adjacent fixings are no longer there.

BW:
  • As above, I could be wrong about nails - just an assumption.
  • No sign of tape.
  • Room for "wangling" could be tricky. All the bathroom stuff has now been fitted and there doesn't look like much scope for lifting floorboards in that vicinity. On the other side, not ideal to be cutting open a newly plastered/painted ceiling. I guess I was hoping for a suggestion that was beyond my amateur knowledge/imagination.
  • Certainly is the bathroom fitter's fault but I thought I'd get a heads-up about potential solutions.

I'll attempt a photo or two.

Sponsored Links
If you consider it to be the bathroom installers that have caused this issue. Then you need to contact them with regards of having it sorted out.
The tapes would be on he underside of the board placed over the joints between butted boards. They are then plaster skimmed or possibly Dry-Lined tape jointed and filled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back