ceiling rose 2 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am replacing a ceiling rose but cannot get lights to work. i have 3 wires coming from my bedroom light i.e one red one black one earthi have 3 wires coming from my bathroom light i have 3 wires comming from my bathroom light switch . i also have one black wire in grey sleeve coming from my landing light switch which can also be switched on and off down stairs please can you help tell me which wire go where on my ceiling rose

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

I followed your diagram and tried but still have no upstairs lights. :(

i am replacing a ceiling rose but cannot get lights to work. i have 3 wires coming from my bedroom light i.e one red one black one earthi have 3 wires coming from my bathroom light i have 3 wires comming from my bathroom light switch . i also have one black wire in grey sleeve coming from my landing light switch which can also be switched on and off down stairs please can you help tell me which wire go where on my ceiling rose

So which is the room with the ceiling rose you are replacing?

Have you changed any other fittings anyway else?

Can you confirm exactly what cables, and wires that come from them, are in the rose you are changing;
and
also any other fittings you may have changed.

Sponsored Links

It's the first time you've mentioned having no upstairs lights.

Have you checked the fuse/mcb?
am replacing the ceiling rose on the landing i have black red and earth wire from bedroom rose have black red and earth wire from bathroom rose i have black red and earth wire from bathroom light switch and one single black wire in grey sleeve from upstairs landing light switch all going to the landing ceiling rose i have changed. the only other part i have replaced is a single socket on the upstairs landing which works ok

It's the first time you've mentioned having no upstairs lights.

Have you checked the fuse/mcb?
am replacing the ceiling rose on the landing i have black red and earth wire from bedroom rose have black red and earth wire from bathroom rose i have black red and earth wire from bathroom light switch and one single black wire in grey sleeve from upstairs landing light switch all going to the landing ceiling rose i have changed. the only other part i have replaced is a single socket on the upstairs landing which works ok

Hi mate, it's pretty straight forward apart from the bit I've highlighted - I don't know what they've done there. :confused:

Was there any connector blocks? or just the ceiling rose?

Hi again,

If what you describe is true, then here is probably how it should be wired (no promises :) )

The two blacks from the bedroom rose and the bathroom rose should be terminated into the neutral (N) connector on your landing rose.

The single black conductor (from the landing light switch), should be terminated into the Line (L) connector on your landing rose.

The two reds from the bedroom rose and the bathroom switch should be terminated in the 'Loop' connector on your landing rose.

And finally, the red from the bathroom rose and the black from the bathroom switch need to be connected together - this is why I asked if there were any connector blocks :)

This will only work if 1/ your description is correct and 2/ the red conductor from the bedroom rose is a permanent live.

Have you any way of confirming 2/ above?

Hope that helps.

Hi again,

If what you describe is true, then here is probably how it should be wired (no promises :) )

The two blacks from the bedroom rose and the bathroom rose should be terminated into the neutral (N) connector on your landing rose.

The single black conductor (from the landing light switch), should be terminated into the Line (L) connector on your landing rose.

The two reds from the bedroom rose and the bathroom switch should be terminated in the 'Loop' connector on your landing rose.

And finally, the red from the bathroom rose and the black from the bathroom switch need to be connected together - this is why I asked if there were any connector blocks :)

This will only work if 1/ your description is correct and 2/ the red conductor from the bedroom rose is a permanent live.

Have you any way of confirming 2/ above?
i have tested the black from the landing switch with my tester screwdriver it seems to be live all the time.when you say join the red from the bathroom rose and the black from the batroom switch which terminal do i put both these wires in

Hope that helps.

The single coductor from the landing switch should be live (unless you throw the switch in the hall or landing.

The red from the bathroom rose and the black from the bathroom switch need to go in a connector block (or, if your landing rose has the facility for two seperate loop-ins, then the second loop)

It would be useful to know how many cables are in bathroom switch, and at the bathroom light.

Can you confirm the cables from the landing light do go to the bathroom switch and light?

From what you have described, and with logic in mind, the bathroom switch will have one twin and earth cable, and the bathroom switch will have one twin and earth cable.

It would be useful to know how many cables are in bathroom switch, and at the bathroom light.

Can you confirm the cables from the landing light do go to the bathroom switch and light?

From what you have described, and with logic in mind, the bathroom switch will have one twin and earth cable, and the bathroom switch will have one twin and earth cable.

I was thinking along similar lines - how are you so certain where the cables in the landing ceiling rose go to.
What have you done to establish this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back