Ceiling Rose to Spot Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know this has come up before, so i apologise, but none of the replies of previous posts have answered the question.

I\\\'m replacing a ceiling rose with a spot light. The ceiling rose has the normal 9 wires (3 earth, 2 neutral (black), 2 live (red) and 2 for the switch (1 red and one black with a red sleeve). The spot light just has 3 connector spaces for Earth, Live, and Neutral. I need to know exactly what wires go into these connectors.

I assume the 3 earth from the rose go into the earth space, and the 2 neutrals from the rose go into the neutral space. But what about all the red live wires and the switch wires. Which ones go in and which ones are left out.

I would really appreciate a bog standard \\\"that wire goes there\\\" explanation. I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to sort this and only got as far as getting the light to come on but not able to switch it off.

Cheers
:)

Sponsored Links
you will have in your rose

2 neutrals (black) from the lighting cuircuit theese go to the neutral terminal
3 earths (bare should be sleeved in green/yellow) theese go to the earth terminal
3 lives (red) theese must be connnected together but not to the light in any way
1 switched live (usually black with a red sleeve or tape) this goes to the live terminal of the light

if there is room inside the light you can join the unswitched lives with terminal block inside the fitting

if not then i would make all theese connections in a junction box and bring just one cable to the light

madaboutnoggins said:
Fantastic !! Thats exactly what i wanted :)

but that's what the drawings show, you know the ones you do not seem to understand in the for reference section

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
madaboutnoggins said:
Fantastic !! Thats exactly what i wanted :)

but that's what the drawings show, you know the ones you do not seem to understand in the for reference section
Which was exactly the point i was trying to make in my very first posting where i got a lot of grief for explaining in words instead of drawings 2 way lighting, some people can't get their heads around diagrams, drawings, schematics, this is where the good old method of step by step instructions come good, remember the experienced person may well be able to read drawings but don't assume everyone can.

kendor said:
remember the experienced person may well be able to read drawings but don't assume everyone can.

i wasnt, they are not they are pictures not technical drawings, if some one can not follow them..........................

Breezer is right - if someone cannot understand the wiring of a lighting circuit when looking at the diagrams in the reference section, especially the one which builds up in a series of steps, then they have so little grasp of the basics of electrical circuits that they should not be doing any work on them.

There are people out there who don't even know that electricity "flows" in a circuit, and that there are live and neutral conductors etc, and these are the sorts of things that they do when they are working from "Insert knob A into hole B" type instructions and have absolutely no idea why they are making various connections:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11329

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10790

(just 2 recent examples - not singling those particular contributors out).

The point is that if you successfully wire up, say, a ceiling rose or a 2- or 3-way switching circuit on the basis of the diagrams it is far more likely that you will have done so because you now grasp what is going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back