Outdoor Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ran an armoured underground cable out to the back of the garden.

i.e rcd to waterproof junction box, cable to other junction box feeding a
waterproof 13A socket and a waterproof switch. Which,once everything is
running, would feed the two teeny pumps (both less than 1A).

However, at the mo', if the switch is turned on (still no pumps wired yet)
it trips the rcd.
Switch turned off, everything OK.
Is it because there is nothing wired to the switch yet ?

Wiring as follows:
From junction box to switch
Live to L1
Neutral to Neutral
Earth to Common

TIA :confused:

Sponsored Links
No - it's because your wiring is utterly mad.

What do you think a switch does? If you've connected all 3 wires from your supply cable to all 3 terminals of a switch, what on earth did you think would happen with the switch in one position or the other? Even if you didn't know which termianl was which, how could it not have occured to you that for a switch to do what it does it must at some time connect one terminal to one of the others?

It's only by a stroke of good luck that you didn't pick the combination of wires into switch terminals that would have resulted in a bloody great bang.

Somebody else here might give you other advice, but IMHO that would be misguided, as it involves electricity out of doors, and an armoured cable which you say you have installed yourself.

I'm afraid that what you have done with the switch shows that you do not have the first clue about electrical wiring, and I'm saying this for your benefit, and that of all those around you.

Please get an electrician in before you kill yourself.

OK point taken.

I'm obviously in over my head.

I can follow instructions though, and have correctly replaced sockets etc.

The switches I've replaced before (dimmers etc) have all had their original wiring in place which I could copy.

I definately should have just stuck to the cable box and plug. At least I knew what I was doing with that. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Just found this thread, my sides haven't ached so much in years. I've had to add it to my favorites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back