Ceiling Rose lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Wondering if you can help please

I have a new lighting system which only has connections for LIVE and NEUTRAL (Brown and Blue)

On my old ceiling lighting which I removed, the Black wire is LIVE, the Second black WIRE is NEUTRAL and there also a RED wire which i presume to be for switching.

When i remove the switch formt he wall it's got a single Black and red connected to it.

My question is " do you know where I connect the Red wire on the new light fitting.

I think the wiring system in my house is old (grey wiring)by the way there's no earth.

Thank You
Cecil Nwachuku

Sponsored Links
If you go into the main Electrics Forum page and click on the first thread 'For reference' you will see a diagram of the loop-in system for how lights tend to be connected in the UK.

For this you need three separate sets of connections in your ceiling rose - Permanent Live, Switched Live and Neutral. However, many lights sold these days only have Switched Live and Neutral available for some reason (might be something to do with selling them internationally, I suppose).

Whenever I encounter it, I use a bit of terminal strip to add the permanent live connection. Probably not the 'proper' way to do it, but it works for me. You should have a second red wire too, somewhere.....

The no earth could be a concern, certainly if the light fitting is metal.

Thanks allot for the explanation. I understand soem of it
Sorry to be a pain.

Can you explain in detail.

Here is what I have
3 grey wires dropping from the ceiling, in these grey wires are 3 red wires and 3 black wires total

I red & 1 black from each main grey wire.

When I took the old unit off,

3 reds were joined together
1 black (Neutral) was connected to the blue wiring on the unit (lamp)
2 black wires (I think which are LIVE) are connected to the brown wiring on the lamp

The new unit as mentined earlier has only live and neutral, I don't know what to do with the 3 reds and which red is the switch.
Where do I connect this Switch wire when i figure i which one it is.

Thanks very much in advance.
Cecil

Sponsored Links
cnwachuku said:
The new unit as mentined earlier has only live and neutral, I don't know what to do with the 3 reds and which red is the switch.
Where do I connect this Switch wire when i figure i which one it is.

Thanks very much in advance.
Cecil

1: see for reference
2: see post above yours.

cnwachuku said:
Here is what I have
3 grey wires dropping from the ceiling, in these grey wires are 3 red wires and 3 black wires total

I red & 1 black from each main grey wire.

When I took the old unit off,

3 reds were joined together
1 black (Neutral) was connected to the blue wiring on the unit (lamp)
2 black wires (I think which are LIVE) are connected to the brown wiring on the lamp
That's completely different from your first description.

What you've got is the standard loop-in system, as shown in the For Reference topic.

The 3 reds are live in, live out, and switch.

The black on it's own is the switched live (why do you think it's neutral?) - should be marked with a bit of red sleeving, and should really have be connected to the brown wire on the light.

The two blacks together are neutral in and neutral out (why do you think they are live?), and should really have be connected to the blue wire on the light.

As you don't have any earths, don't use light fittings that require an earth, and don't use metal light switches. And consider having your wiring inspected - no earths implies quite an old installation.

Thanks allot for that answer. it's much clearer. No wonder my fuse went everytime I tired connecting it.

I'm greatful to you all for helping me out.

I shall try it now and see how I go.

You are right, The wiring upstairs is old, while the wiring downstairs has been renewed.

Thanks again,
Cecil

cnwachuku said:
Thanks allot for that answer. it's much clearer. No wonder my fuse went everytime I tired connecting it.

do you normally guess what goes where?

Ban, don't be too harsh. Cecil naturally assumed the wires connected to the brown of the fitting were live, when in fact the installer had reversed L & N.

Hi Ban,

Got it all working. you were correct with the single black wiring being Live.

Regards,
Cecil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back