Ceiling rose...plz help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm trying to fit a new light in the bathroom......there are 3 cables coming out of the ceiling...The first two are straight forward
1 has red,black and yellow/green wires,

2 has black(with a red sleeve) red and yellow/green

But the third ones got me stumped it has 4 wires coming out:
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
AND A BARE WIRE COVERED IN A GREEN SLEEVE
Could someone plz tell me how i wire this up
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The 4 core cable is normally used between the switches of a 2 way switched lighting system, but, here, it appears that it may have been used to power the fan. The red and the yellow, wihich needs a red sleeve as it is being used as a live, would connect into the loop at the ceiling rose, the blue to the neutral and the green/yellow to the earthing terminal. A 3 pole switch should be next, with R, Y (red sleeved) and B into the 3 poles and out again. Either thr R or red sleeved Y should go via the switching unit of the fan (may be a pull switch, or integral in the fan itself) the other of these 2 to the overrun timer of the fan and B to neutral. Gr/y to the earth terminals throughout this daisy chain until you get to a point where there may not be an earth terminal (if the fan is what is known as Class 2).

If there is a cut off switch for the fan, open it up and look inside to see if it corresponds to what I have written.

Sponsored Links
Then it's most likely the wiring to the fan. Usually as follows:

Red - Permanent live supply
Yellow - Switched live supply
Blue - Neutral
Green/yellow - Earth

Checking the other end of the cable at the fan should confirm this.

The yellow connects to the switched live on the light to start the fan when the light is turned on. The red permanent supply keeps the fan running for a set time when the light is switched off.

do the red and yellow wires from the the 3 core & earth share a connection in the loop?...as i've already got 3 reds going to there

Yes, as Stem says, you need a live feed to the switched live of the fan and 1 to the over run timer, so you need both the red and the yellow (with a red sleeve!) into the loop.

Right firstly thanks 4 your help..
i've wired it up as u said and the light and fan both come on.....
Only problem now is the fan stays on when you switch the light out.
And i've just found out b4 the fan and light were controlled by the same switch (i.e. there was no delay with the fan turning off)
Any ideas how to get the fan and light switching on and off together??

In that case, take the switched live for the fan out of the loop and connect it to the returning switched live for the light. The fan will still continue for a little while after the light is switched off as that is what it is designed to do. Just leave it for a while and check it turns itself off sometime later.

Sorry to sound ignorant the switched live is the yellow one right? and then i connect that to the same connection as the black wire with the red sleeve??

If you have followed Stem's plan above. It can be either, it just depends on how it has been connected. If you look inside the fan at which has been connected where, you'll know for sure. Otherwise, try the yellow (slleved with Red) first and if it works you were right. If not, try the red with the yellow back in the loop. You'll not do any harm if you get the wrong one the first time.

Couldnt wait till 2moro so i just swapped over the yellow wire and everthings working fine now!!!

thx again you really have been a great help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back