ceiling rose / two way landing light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've read a few similar posts relating to my problem but none of them have so far helped me resolve my issue. changed the ceiling rose in my spare room and fitted a dimmer switch. all ok, then a few days later nothing. so began checking wiring in both, all seemed ok, reset all wiring in rose found switch wire, well other two, two core wires caused shorts with lights operating lights in other rooms etc etc. also I live in a four storey terrace and found that my cellar is on the same circuit as the third and fourth floors!!!

In addition to this I have a rogue black wire (probably live) I hadnt made anote of the wiring as well to be honest it worked to start with so I hadn't bothered.

now have cellar, bedroom, attic bathroom working, not got spare room ( new rose) or attic or landing two switched stairs...please help

Sponsored Links
thanks, yes I have used a mm and found the live wires, All my lights are now working except the room with the new rose and my landing. I have not got the extra black wire fixed in anywhere therefore I can only think that this wire needs to be fitted to make the relevant circuit however i have tried numerous combinations of wiring config. and only succeed in either no lights or shorting and using a different rooms switch to light the new rose

any more help would be appreciated

swapped my red wires in L2 + Com, dimmer light now working for new rose. no lights on landing and attic stairs are dimmed, which tells me its shorting somewhere. tried the rogue black wire (live) in all three live ports, no difference.
Well stuck now

Sponsored Links
Rather than trying every combination of wires and randomly swapping wires around, you need to use the multimeter to identify what all of the wires are.
This is done with the power OFF and using the continuity setting on the meter.

After that, it is a simple matter of connecting the wires to the relevant terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back