Ceiling rose wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AFFAFF1C-CC42-40C7-A452-B64E8128842D.jpeg
Hi everyone

Decided to take down the old ceiling rose and replace with a new light and I could do with help with the wiring please - I’m a novice btw.

You’ll see on the photo the original wiring when I took the cover off the ceiling rose. The new light is very simply a neutral and a live so I’m trying to figure out which wires go where.

Any guidance would really be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The blue wire on the right of your pic ( which has the brown wire from the lamp next to it ,in the same terminal block) is the switched live. It should have a short piece of brown coloured sleeving fitted over it ,to indicate it is the switched live .
Do not mix it up with the other blue wires which are neutrals. On your new light fitting ,the blue neutrals connect to the neutral terminal ,and the switched live connects to the live terminal . The earth conductors connect to the earth terminal.
The brown wires do not connect to the new light fitting ,but connect together in an insulated terminal block that can sit within the new light fittings baseplate.

Thank you, that was my thought but I wasn’t sure. That being the case, would the switched live go to the live terminal on the new light? Then the other 2 blue neutrals into the neutral on the news light?

Sponsored Links
Can you show the whole fitting , particularly the base that contains that terminal block ,which incidentally doesn't look large enough to accommodate two neutrals. You may need to use a junction box to make all the connections ,and run from there a two core flex to the new light fitting.

Thanks for your help mate.

See pic. It all fits snuggly inside the base plate. I think I may know why I was on the wrong lines. I had everything in place as you described except, the 2 brown wires that are together went into one block the other brown wire on its own. I didn’t realise they all went together.
63A4A89A-7581-4B02-A8F8-87FC6A9C2B05.jpeg

Not permitted, as that is a class II fitting, connectors and the wiring would need to be inside an insulated enclosure if inside that metal base.
In what way is the terminal block supplied with that fitting double insulated I wonder ???

In what way is the terminal block supplied with that fitting double insulated I wonder ???
That is a double insulated connector, the instructions will very likely highlight that point.

I have already encountered correcting 2 relatively similar class II fittings which have had the browns and earths terminated in choc block inside the base. Rental EICR's failed it as C1 or C2. Ironically one still had the base of the rose fitted to the ceiling in the base and all I had to do was replace the cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back