Ceiling rose with twin wire, no earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling rose with a twin live / neutral wire and no earth.

20160312_154428[1].jpg

This is unexpected as the house was built in 1986 and the light switch does have an earth.

Can I still use this with light fittings that are not double insulated?

Sponsored Links
Probable that the cable showing is actually an old flex from a ceiling rose concealed up in the ceiling behind that decorative? plaster moulding. Or perhaps a junction box hidden in the ceiling.
In any event, only double insulated fittings can be used with that.

Real solution is to find the original wiring in the ceiling and connect the new light fitting properly.

Thanks both! I went into the loft and found the flex. It looks as though above the ceiling there is a box with 3 wires going into it, and then the single live/neutral flex wire coming out of it.

I've included a photo of it below; can you tell me what is likely happening here? What should I do to get an earth through the ceiling rose - put all 3 wires through the ceiling and then use the fitting to connect them?

IMG_1395.JPG

Any ideas why it has been done this way? There is a joist (as you can see) which partially obscures the hole, but the wires should fit through easily.

Sponsored Links
That is the old ceiling rose.
Options:
easy: fix that ceiling rose to the side of the joist, remove the 2 core flex and fit a 3 core flex through the ceiling to the new light fitting.
not so easy: remove the ceiling rose, pass all 3 cables through the ceiling, connect to the new light fitting. This will probably require additional connectors for the wires, wires may be difficult to fit into the new fitting, risk of connecting wires incorrectly.

@flameport Thanks - is a ceiling rose the same as a junction box? Also, I had the power to the entire flat off at the master circuit before inspecting this, however I picked up a live feed with my cheap voltage pen tester when inspecting the 3 wires. Is this common / expected - could it actually be live? The live wire underneath the ceiling into the flat is definitely not live.

@stillp unlikely as there was another ceiling rose on the other side. Possibly newly installed, although seems like an odd solution to have 2 - is this common practice?

is a ceiling rose the same as a junction box?
Yes, it's just one with terminals appropriate for lighting and has a flex outlet.
You could replace it with a 4 terminal junction box, but no real point as the rose is already there.

Something more like this https://www.yourelectrics.com/produ...&network=pla&gclid=CL_jtJ_5u8sCFcFsGwodNwcMJw
Somewhat more expensive, but the single-pole ones can give false positive or false negative readings. A multimeter would be better than that screwdriver thingy, and you can get a cheap one for under a tenner.

Thanks @stillp.

Final question: @flameport I am going to follow your suggestion to replace the 2 core flex with 3 core flex. If I am only connecting it between the rose above the ceiling and the rose below, can I use standard 3 amp / 720w flex or do I need higher-rated non-flexible wiring? It is only connecting to a decorative pendant lamp.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back