Ceiling Skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice and guidance from the plastering experts :)

Trying to prep what will become our utility room. The whole room needs a skim but its mainly the ceiling I'm concerned about.

url]

U1.jpg

1. Where I've removed a partitioned wall there's a depth miss match of about 3-5mm where there is just plaster board (where the wall was) and plastered plaster board which was the ceiling.

Will a plasterer have issues skimming over all this this?

U1.jpg

gVFLbk

2. Above the boiler the plaster wasn't painted (previous owner) this was all loose and a scraper scraped it away easy. The surrounding area no longer comes away.

Was this because it the plaster was just left unpainted (the area is not damp or wet, but I assume condensation during the winter when the boiler is used more)

U3.jpg

fodv95

3. Where I have pulled the coving down, I've had a battle with the adhesive. I've basically multi tooled and sanded it as flat to the plaster as possible.

I wont put new coving up, just leave it. So can a plaster plaster over the residual adhesive?

kNVWhQ

4. One side of the old partition wall (which made a small boiler storage room) the paint on the ceiling was quite flakey. I'm not sure if it has a mist coat. I've pulled all the flakes off and rubbed down the edges. Nothing else is coming away.

Is it safe to skim over?

U2.jpg

5. Lastly, there's a hole in the ceiling. The light is moving and I plan to repair the hole like you would a wall (slot a piece of plaster board and screw it to wood (which will itself be screwed into the ceiling joists above)

Is this acceptable or should I be done with it and overboard the whole lot.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Theres not a single issue there a competent plasterer wont take in his stride..get a couple of quotes.

I agree with Alastair,,, nothing there that's a problem for a competent plasterer, seen far worse.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back