Ceiling Spot Lights Dimming up and down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into this new house, its about 8 years old. In the en-suite there are 3 ceiling spot lights, when I put the shower on the lights dim right down and then come back up, this happens intermittently. they also dim slightly when the shower isn't even on.

Is this a loose connection somewhere ? How can I diagnose ?

Sponsored Links
Switch the shower off and see if the lights dim. If not it sounds like they are wired into the shower supply and you need a qualified electrician. You could do that anyway.

Switch the shower off and see if the lights dim. If not it sounds like they are wired into the shower supply and you need a qualified electrician. You could do that anyway.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would the lights dim when a large load, such as the shower, is switched off?

In any case, it's a bit of a leap to just assume that the lights are wired into the shower circuit. A loose connection at the consumer unit on the main tails could cause the lights to dim when a large load is switched on, for example. Have you tried watching any other lights elsewhere in the house to see if they are doing the same thing?

First, determine what circuit those lights are on.

Turn them on, then go to your consumer unit (fusebox) and turn off the switch marked "upstairs lights" (assuming this shower is upstairs)

If it doesn't. Turn them off one at a time until the lights go off.
Then come back and say what circuit its on.

Secondly. What turns those lights on and off? Is it a wallswitch or a pullswitch. Is it a dimmer?

Sponsored Links
A little dimming of the lights when a large load is applied is normal.

By large load, I mean electric shower (the largest current draw in a normal house), electric hobs, kettle, toaster, large heater.

They pull a lot of current, which causes the voltage to drop on your main supply cable. You may also notice other symptoms, such as (in our house) the oven fan slows down, the boiler's pitch changes, the fridge motor "slows" slightly, etc.

However, if the lights dim so much that you start to bang into things, then you should get it checked out.

Ban-all-sheds will be along soon to tell us all that his lights never dim, therefore nobodys should, ever. Ignore him.

Out of interest, compact fluorescent lamps are much more resistant to the effects of these voltage drops. I have them in the bathroom, and notice no change in light level when the shower is on.

Its not an electric shower !! I found that out this morning when it went ice cold on me !

The lights are on a switch outside the shower room.

Its not an electric shower !! I found that out this morning when it went ice cold on me !
Your electric shower can go cold on you too if it's on the way out. :LOL:

But i'm guessing you know the difference between an electric shower and a mixer type etc...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back