Ceiling Switch for Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am struggling to wire up the ceiling switch which controls an extractor fan above the shower in my bathroom.

I have bought a ceiling switch that when opened has inputs named L1, L2 and Com.

Coming from my ceiling I have two blue wires and two brown wires I presume one is from the fan and the other from the bathroom light, so that the fan cannot be on when the bathroom light is off.

Can someone please help i cant get the switch to work at all but i am a total novice with electrics and have no idea what goes where.

Help and thankyou,

Steve Hill

Sponsored Links
You've bought a single pole light switch. Take it back and buy a double pole pull switch Then connect the like colours to the named terminals ie brown to live and blue neutral. The switch will, probably, tell you which side is for the load and which the supply. Fan to load side.

OK. So you did not make a note of the connections when you disconnected the old switch (ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!)

But surely, you have the old one to refer to? What type is that?

Hi,

The new one is exactly the same as the old one but i did notice both blue wires where wrapped together.

The contact points say L1 L2 AND Com I had a mess around last night and
at the moment the fan comes on when you turn the ensuite light on?

Help i am crap with electrics.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
right, it sounds like you have a "loop-in-at-the-switch" system. One of those browns is permenant live, the other one feeds the light and the fan. The blues are neutrals.

permenant live goes to COM
switched live goes to L1

mcc505 said:
And will the blues go to L2? Thanks for helping me out.
NO! Why would you have neutrals connected to a switch? Think what it does, it alternates the COM to L1 and L2. So you have Live in COM, and NEUTRAL in L2. When the switch is in one position, LIVE AND NEUTRAL ARE SHORTED OUT! This could cause a big bang.

i think i misread the question anyway. this switch ONLY controls the fan? The wiring could still be as i described.

PUT THE BLUES INTO A PIECE OF TERMINAL BLOCK, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN BEFORE - not "wrapped together".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back