wiring in a pull cord for extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon!!

Please can you help. I am replacing a pull cord for an extractor fan in the bathroom and the new fitting doesnt look anything like the previous! I didnt diagram the previous fitting either.

The new fitting has Com, L1 and L2 and Earth. Out of the ceiling I have 2 separate cables, each with red, black and earth. One of the cables presumably goes to the extractor fan and the other goes to a on/off switch located outside of the bathroom. I am new to electrics and would hate to wire incorrectly!

Please could you tell which wires go where...and does L1/L2 in english mean 'Line' or 'Live'?

Thanks for all your help!

MCP999

Sponsored Links
MCP, as the fan requires a neutral connection to work, the two black core are presumably the neutrals, which require joining together.

The two reds will go in Common and L1 respectively.

If you can identify which one comes from the light, so is the feed in, this one should, ideally, go in the Common terminal of the switch.

The only real difference between your old switch and the new one, is the new one is TWO way whilst the old must have been ONE way.

If you have a multimeter, it is wise to confirm that is is a live/neutral feed from the light to be on the safe side.

BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS AS YOU NEED THE POWER ON.

I was called to a near-identical problem last year. The bloke took off an old switch (not old as it turned out but had rounded corners, so he thought it was) went to a shed and bought a pullcord switch. Then called me out has he hadn't a clue which cores were which.

I looked at it and came to your conclusion, Jim. When I delved more deeply, it turned out they had used the earth as a switched live and the switch he had taken off was a 3 pole p cord....strange mix of atrocious and conscientious workmanship......

Not suggesting that is how it is in this case, but sometimes all is not as it may seem!!

Newby, as FWL suggests, test things out with a meter and hopefully things will become crystal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies! I will try these at the weekend when I have chance to borrow a meter.

Thanks again

Newby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back