ceiling type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

i'm trying to hang a pulley type clothes drying rail in my flat. i am aware i need to locate the ceiling rafters underneath the plaster board. however after tapping away for hours i could not find any hollow/not hollow areas.

i drilled into the ceiling to have a quick look and found that after a few CMs of plaster board there seems to be a metal sheet or something underneath. i drilled another hole a few inches away and the same thing.

the building was built in the 1920s and were purpose built flats. it's a ground floor flat and there are floorboards on the floors. if that is any clue as to what might be up there.

any help with this would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
probably a concrete floor.. . you sure you have floorboards and not just a floating floor?

exposed floorboards in the living room with proper joists underneath so think so, but i'm no expert.

with a concrete ceiling, do i stand a chance of hanging it?

If you have a concrete ceiling the metal work could be electrical conduit, you don't want to be drilling thru that.

Sponsored Links
i thought of that but i drilled a second hole a good few inches away from the first hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back