Ceilings -how are they fixed ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How is a room ceiling fixed ??

The ceiling plasterboard in part of a room has dropped about 2 inches.

Looking in the gap (between ceiling & board above it) it seems the fixings have pushed through the ceiling in that part of the room.

The ceiling plasterboard seems fixed to board above and this board I assume is fixed to the joists (I cannot see joists).

1) Are they just long screws with washer type things to hold plasterboard or special ceiling fixings ??

2) What is the board above the ceiling plasterboard, is it chipboard ??

Thanks
Jack S.

Sponsored Links
normal drywall screws are used depending on the thickness use longer screws, it sounds as though its got a double skin of plasterboard.

jbonding said:
normal drywall screws are used depending on the thickness use longer screws, it sounds as though its got a double skin of plasterboard.
I've used some No10 4" chipboard screws with washers to pull up the hanging plasterboard in a few places.

They screwed in ok & I didn't know where joists were.
I picked random places to screw in.

I don't think chipboard screws would hold in plasterboard, so that makes me think the board above ceiling plasterboard is more solid chipboard or similiar.

Jack S.

jack_s said:
jbonding said:
I've used some No10 4" chipboard screws with washers to pull up the hanging plasterboard in a few places.

I don't think chipboard screws would hold in plasterboard, so that makes me think the board above ceiling plasterboard is more solid chipboard or similiar.

Jack S.

stainless steel?

Sponsored Links
I've used some No10 x 4" chipboard screws with washers to pull up the hanging plasterboard in a few places.

What do people think ??

Jack S.

The screws would not hold if the above board was plasterboard. Why don't you use a screw driver and make a little hole in the above board to see what it is made of? If your house is old it may be an old lath ceiling which is made up from thin timber laths which are plastered over. You may get screw to bite in this but finding the joists would be better.

martybli said:
The screws would not hold if the above board was plasterboard. Why don't you use a screw driver and make a little hole in the above board to see what it is made of? If your house is old it may be an old lath ceiling which is made up from thin timber laths which are plastered over. You may get screw to bite in this but finding the joists would be better.
I've just realised what I think it is/looks like, 3-5mm Hardboard.
(doesn't look like the thicker/heavier chipboard).
-I couldn't think of the right word.

I have restuck ceiling paper back.
I should have thought of pushing screw driver up to test beforehand.
(I started wondering about this board afterwards).

The board above the ceiling plasterboard did not look old.
When pushing up screws to screw in, it felt like this board was flexing, before screw went in
(as thinner Hardboard sheet would).

Won't lathe & plaster have a rough type finish ??

Thanks
Jack S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back