cellar pump for a sump

M

marsaday

I will be fitting a cellar sump and pump soon. are there any suggestions as to what pump i should buy? any i should avoid?

Sponsored Links
all depends on the hole you will be putting the pump in i personally use the ones out of argos Challenge Xtreme Dirty Water Pump 400 Watt at £40 quid they are good value

i have been told to put it in a black bin liner set in the ground. you cut a hole in the bottom of the bin and the water comes in here.

i have actually bought a cheapo one from b & q tonight for £18 - 50% off. it looks like your common dirty water pump, so i will see how i get on with it.

unless you are on rock, it is best to dig a sump pit and line it with bricks or no-fines concrete

this is to stop the particles of the soil coming into the hole and being pumped out as watery mud. Over time it pumps away the soil under your house and creates a big hole that the house can subside into.

Sponsored Links
i have lined it with 20mm gravel on the base (4") and then up the sides as well.

an american website explained what i should do, so i followed this.

do you think the gravel will be ok at holding back the soil.

i can also come back to the sump in a yr and see if it is disappearing.

what is no fines concrete by the way?

No-fines concrete is very porous and open-textured. It is more or less concrete made with gravel and cement, no sand (=no fine material), so that you can see the gaps between the stones.

Ordinary concrete is as dense as you can get it, with every grain of sand coated in cement, and every small stone coated in sand, every large stone packed round with small particles, so there are (should be) no visible gaps or cavities between anything. In reality, you can never consolidatye it perfectly, and it gets porous when excess water evaporates, but the denser you can get it, the stronger it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back