Cement board - asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Window fitters just took out a door for me. Guy said it might have exposed asbestos but didn’t know for sure. See pictures. This is in my ceiling basically. I don’t mean the white polystyrene, I mean the grey board in the gap which has a hex pattern on it.

This is now open in my hall. I got a 3 year old so just want to make sure I’m safe.

He said should be ok if I don’t poke it. Seems like it was already disturbed and it’s all frayed already.

As I understand this would be cement board and this would be white asbestos and it’s one of the lowest risk forms.

I was thinking of spraying with pva and letting my builder just plaster over it.

So

1. Do you think this is asbestos and is it dangerous as it is?
2. It will take a while to get it tested and dealt with. In the meantime should I spray it with water/pva?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 720BB046-7A28-4809-944F-B80D1293BB80.jpeg
    720BB046-7A28-4809-944F-B80D1293BB80.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 80C66559-ADB7-4EAD-86DD-3690A0D3D599.jpeg
    80C66559-ADB7-4EAD-86DD-3690A0D3D599.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Spray it with some 50/50 PVA and water.

All looks like plasterboard to me.

I thought plasterboard was white or pink.

That stuff is the middle is grey. It’s an old house perhaps that’s how PB used to look?

Soft and chalky? Paper over? That will be plasterboard as asbestos is hard.
Re colour. Could be a few types like white, pink or grey

Sponsored Links
Soft and chalky? Paper over? That will be plasterboard as asbestos is hard.
Re colour. Could be a few types like white, pink or grey

Looks pretty chalky to me, not hard.

I thought cement board was crumbly. I’d like to add I’m both a worrier and always have been, I don’t know my ass from my elbow as regards to building materials and I’m particularly scared of asbestos.

Triple whammy.

So cements board is like, well, cement!

I thought asbestos stuff was frizzy.

My dads garage is boarded in AIB (which I understand is brown asbestos and therefore the bad kind) and I’ve spend hours in there as a kid and as an adult. Dad is still rocking at 71 no serious lung issues with 55 years of smoking plus 20 years in the trades, and I quote “ripping out asbestos no mask regukarly so was covered in it!”

I lost a relative to it, builder but he was still almost 80 when it got him.

Go look in DIY store at the sheet materials. Find both plasterboard and cement board which is like asbestos board.
Asbestos board is a bit like your dinner plate. Hard baked clay like. Can't dig you finger nail in it.

Your asking here which shows you have knowledge enough to seek further advise. Many don't unfortunately. Always play it safe

Go look in DIY store at the sheet materials. Find both plasterboard and cement board which is like asbestos board.
Asbestos board is a bit like your dinner plate. Hard baked clay like. Can't dig you finger nail in it.

Your asking here which shows you have knowledge enough to seek further advise. Many don't unfortunately. Always play it safe

So is it safe to grab a wee bit to feel? It LOOKS soft, look how it’s been torn up, doesn’t seem like cement.

p3 mask, wet it, and have a little poke

So is it safe to grab a wee bit to feel?
...I believe the 'dig your finger nail in' referred to the plasterboard and (safe) cement board at your local DIY store! :)

It will take a while to get it tested
You can buy test kits online, usually delivered next day, and results can come in by text the day it arrives at the lab.
I've used these testers a couple of times...

....although as has been said above, it looks like plasterboard to me - spraying with a PVA/water mix won't hurt.

...I believe the 'dig your finger nail in' referred to the plasterboard and (safe) cement board at your local DIY store! :)

You can buy test kits online, usually delivered next day, and results can come in by text the day it arrives at the lab.
I've used these testers a couple of times...

....although as has been said above, it looks like plasterboard to me - spraying with a PVA/water mix won't hurt.

Got it.

I’ve thought of another idea. If I sand it vigorously create a little cloud and smell it, I should be able to smell the asbestos right?

(Just to clarify, joke. Don’t try this at home kids!)

I’ve thought of another idea. If I sand it vigorously create a little cloud and smell it, I should be able to smell the asbestos right?
Although some do advocate trying to burn small samples, with suitable precautions.
Asbestos shouldn't burn!

Although some do advocate trying to burn small samples, with suitable precautions.
Asbestos shouldn't burn!

It’s quite annoying it’s so bad for one’s health as it’s an amazing material. Zero conduction, can’t burn….you can see why it was beloved before we realised it killed people.

It was so popular in the 50s they actually created asbestos filters for cigarettes

I’d just add; the window guy suggested asbestos not plasterboard as he said there was a hex pattern in it. Not sure if you can see on the pics but it has a mesh look to it. Presume old PB has this in it

It’s quite annoying it’s so bad for one’s health as it’s an amazing material. Zero conduction, can’t burn….you can see why it was beloved before we realised it killed people.

It was so popular in the 50s they actually created asbestos filters for cigarettes

And for more fascinating and disturbing pictures, you can always try asbestorama...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back