cement on cooker cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive read plaster damages cooker cable.
What will cement do to it.
I have added a stretch to the metal conduit in the wall but its black plastic. I want to cement round this, as the rest of the pipe is.

I have been lucky that there was a recess already in the concrete that just needed chiseling out.

On the metal back plate entrance holes i have placed grommits. problem is with grommits plastic conduit wont enter in the holes as well so leaving an unsealed connection between coverings.

if i cement over these im concerned of damage.

Also where the wire leaves the conduit at the base of the run i need it to to enter the wall plate which has a surface back box and that will then be about an inch exposed behind plastic box.

can i wrap these with alot of electric tape or would the cement destroy that too.

I can get pics if it helps.

OJ

Sponsored Links
ok found the no cement or plaster warnings, i am going to make some sort of stopper to stop the cement covering the wire coming out to the bottom plate.

but im still concerned regarding the none fixed conduit area. :cry:

Thanks OJ

I hope that plaster doesn't damage cable as most installs now have cables buried straight into the plaster...

? ive read plaster destroys the protective covering on wires.

You got me on a dought now, if it doesnt then i could have saved myself alot of trouble :LOL: oh well better to be safe than sorry.

As im browsing i will have to link what i find in here maybe its beacuse you have to pull it all apart to replace if a problem were as chased with agap left it pulls freely?

Added
ok ive just been back to the scene of the crime and im just on a paranoid, the gaps seemed to have settled in ok :oops: , sorry about the post can it be deleted if necessary, I just want to make sure everything is done correctly alot of time and money if its a bodge job. :cry:
Thanks
OJ

Sponsored Links
Wet plaster can attack copper and was a problem in the past if unsheathed MICC was buried. Sheathed MICC was covered in PVC so I assume that PVC insulated cables like T&E would resist attack, though there is still an issue of adequate mechanical protection from physical damage.

If PVC can be attacked by plaster or cement then there are millions of double glazing windows and doors about to turn to dust. NOT!

TTC

ok thanks i have got the insulation issue and wall mixes confussed, i will go ahead and fill it.

Always best to ask ;)

Taylortwocities said:
If PVC can be attacked by plaster or cement then there are millions of double glazing windows and doors about to turn to dust. NOT!

TTC

While I agree with you the effect on PVC cables by plaster is usually negligible, it is worth remembering that windows and doors are actually uPVC...

well.. i had not actually related the 2 as im sure if they were 2 the same my windows would now be wobbling in the wind :LOL:

I think it's more a matter of damage by plasterers than the plaster itself. There's the posibility of nicking a cable with the corner of a float that's nicely worn to a knife edge if the cable is too near the surface - and you don't get to know about it until much later on after the 'juice' from the plaster has seeped into the nick and done it's worst with the copper :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back