cement removal from bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'day Everyone

Anyone got any bright ideas for removing cement from bricks?

Some bright spark has previously decided to slather cement onto the bricks at the front of my house in an awful attempt at re-pointing it. We have dug out the cement inbetween the bricks, but it was done so poorly that cement is all over the faces of the bricks... We have tried wire brush, scraping, sanding disc and a few other things but they are all either too violent on the bricks beneath (it is right by the front door so we don't want to ruin the bricks) or just totally ineffective.

Is there any magic chemical (acidic if my chemistry doesn't fail me entirely?) that might help clean old cement from bricks?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
could try brick cleaner (acid) from your local builders merchants ,but not sure how well you will get on if its been stained for a long period of time though.

mikric said:
could try brick cleaner (acid) from your local builders merchants ,but not sure how well you will get on if its been stained for a long period of time though.

Cheers Mikric... I have had the same thought, and will try it if no alternatives come up... I have a feeling that it wouldn't cut the mustard - but I have been wrong (many times) before!

Our friend google has thrown up several products such as

http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/index.php?productID=419

but I am worried about damaging/discolouring the bricks and would like reassurance before taking the plunge.

Cheers

Give it a go in a small area mate but for the price of that stuff you can get a 5 litre tub from builders merchants ,which is what i would try first.

Sponsored Links
mikric said:
Give it a go in a small area mate but for the price of that stuff you can get a 5 litre tub from builders merchants ,which is what i would try first.

Sweet... cheers, I shall have a crack and report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back